A few things I had forgotten about Texas drivers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went down to South Padre for a little break last week. We managed to bring the only cold wet weather they've had all year with us. But it was a nice chill-laxing time just the same. Had some great "fresh" seafood while we were there.

I hadn't been down there in a few years and kind of forgot how they drive. So I'm posting a few observations I noticed for anyone who might be considering a trip that way. Hopefully someone might find the points useful.

1. No matter how slow you go there's always someone willing to go slower on the hi-ways down there.
2. No matter how fast you go there's always someone willing to go faster on the hi-ways down there.
3. Apparently passing someone is considered a challenge and leads to a race.
4. They like to run along in big crowds.
5. They have no knowledge of cruise control function.
6. They are scared of semi's when it rains.
7. The further south you get the more vehicles pulling something, mostly trailers with nothing on them or tow cars heading to Mexico.
(8) It is OK to drive 55 in the passing lane from Dallas to Corpus Cristi

**Oh also a free travelers advisory.** Interstate 35 is under construction from Denton all the way to San Antonio.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stretch of I-35 from Ft. Worth to Austin has more batsh!t crazy per mile than any place I've been outside of Chicago. And there's no lane discipline, either...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of this stuff stressed me at all. I just found it amuzing and interesting.
The only place I've seen more inconsistent driving is San Fran - Oakland area in California.
And to me they are in a league all of there own in that area.:screwy:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here in OK it seems the left lane is the cruising lane for 5mph below the speed limit. It then turns into a game when you pass them on the right.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of this stuff stressed me at all. I just found it amuzing and interesting.
The only place I've seen more inconsistent driving is San Fran - Oakland area in California.
And to me they are in a league all of there own in that area.:screwy:

Haha… Good Stuff… Please don’t confuse “inconsistent” with aggressive and/or advanced anticipation skills… We Bay Area drivers see it as a necessary survival tool… The hesitant/unpredictable drivers I see here scare me… lol

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 7:00 pm last night I had to drive to Davis OK and back for work. I decided it would be fun to get in the RIGHT lane and set my cruise control and watch the other drivers. Of course going southbound most drivers last night were Texans, and going northbound most were Okies. It seems Texans like to run right up to your rear bumper at 80mph then at the very last second swerve into the left lane then pass and swerve back into the right lane. Apparently blinkers are an option that 75% of Texas cars lack. The Okies drive about 5 mph slower and tend to start their pass much earlier and linger in the left lane longer it appears that 50-60% of cars in Oklahoma are equipped with the blinker option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom