Another "what snake is this?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
then why would you bother to learn what kind it is? Oklahoma has rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouths for venomous. every other snake in OK is harmless.

more people get bitten while trying to kill or catch the snake than by accidentally stepping on it, so you would be better served teaching your child to avoid snakes or at least learn which ones are dangerous.

^^ AKA Water Moccasin for those that don't know.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The snake in question is commonly called a splotched king snake. Their are three varieties of king snake within Oklahoma, the splotched (as in your pics), the speckled (black with hundreds of gold speckles ), and the scarlet (red, yellow, cream and black bands). All are non venomous, and will kill and eat other snakes as part of their diet.

The venomous snakes native to the State include five species of rattlesnake, the copperhead, and the true cottonmouth water moccasin (completely different than the common water snake).

You are right in being careful of any snake, especially in an urban environment due to the fact that exotic venomous snakes have been known to "show up" after either escaping or having been turned loose intentionally. Many of them appear as non venomous to people that are unfamiliar with them, and are told to look for specific shapes or colorations.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Five features that help identify poisonous snakes :

Presence of rattles on the tail positively identifies a snake as poisonous.

Secondly, head shape can help identify poisonous snakes. Poisonous snakes in North American
tend to have diamond or triangular shaped heads. Harmless snakes have
narrow heads.

Thirdly, vertical eye pupils “cat’s eyes” are a strong sign a snake might be poisonous.

Fourth, the best identifying character is the facial pit. This is a depression on the side of the face joint below a line between the
eyes and the nostrils. The venomous snakes of Oklahoma have facial pits.

Fifth, if you have a dead snake a poisonous snake can be identified by
examining the scales under the tail. The tail of a snake is the portion of the
snake that extends beyond the vent (anus). Poisonous snakes have a single row
of scales immediately beyond the vent, while non-poisonous snakes usually
have two rows of scales beyond the vent.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have always tried to leave the "good" snakes alone in my yard when possible.
but.......little kids, toddlers, pets that can't handle a snake = dead snake. period

fastadam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as it's not a copper head, rattler or cotton mouth I let it be. I like having big king snakes around the house. Keeps the rats and mice at bay. It is always good to know what is what though. My wife is terrified of snakes so If I find one close to the house I relocate it to the outskirts of or fence line so she doesn't freak out but I have to know that it's not dangerous before I catch it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, there are no official records of Coral Snakes in Oklahoma. Doesn't mean there couldn't be one, since the range is close, just never been one officially recorded by a college or university.

Also I would be highly surprised to see a cottonmouth as far north as OKC. Again that doesn't mean there couldn't be, it would just surprise me.

Another FWIW, there is one other venomous snake in Oklahoma, the Texas Night Snake. However it is too small to be a threat to humans. It is a rear fanged snake. I collected one on a field trip up to Black Mesa. It may still be in Cameron College's herp collection.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the exception of rattlesnakes, coperheads and cottonmouths, every snake in Oklahoma is beneficial.

There is no reason to kill any snake other than those 3 listed above unless it is because of an irrational fear or ignorance.

I'm not certain if it is a prairie king snake or a great plains rat snake as they look a lot alike, I think it "was" a rat snake, but what I am sure of is, one that big would have kept the immediate area free of rodents, and probably copperheads.

It is what it is. Some folks just don't like snakes, but there is no real need to kill these snakes. Unless you're a rodent they are completely harmless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom