Any AC guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get ready to spend some bucks. I've been told by multiple techs that welding coils is ineffective. Ours 13 y/o system started leaking at the coil, the coil is $1200+ to replace and if the condenser/compressor unit dies the coil must be replaced again to be compatible with the new freon.

I think that we're going to suck it up and replace the full a/c system. Yea for me.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get ready to spend some bucks. I've been told by multiple techs that welding coils is ineffective. Ours 13 y/o system started leaking at the coil, the coil is $1200+ to replace and if the condenser/compressor unit dies the coil must be replaced again to be compatible with the new freon.

I think that we're going to suck it up and replace the full a/c system. Yea for me.

Yep, that's what happened to me last year except it was a 21 year old system. Replaced the system.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom's AC coil is leaking and she is needing it fixed. Please let me know...

the first thing you need to do is find an honest/competent tech that works your area .. who are probably covered up with work about right now.
let the tech tell you what's wrong and what options are the best to fix and/or replace. they probably will not be thrilled about having their work criticized on a forum by no telling who.

due to the complex nature of HVAC work you could get several differing opinions .. a competent tech will be able to accurately diagnose what is actually wrong.

let's assume that a leaking coil is correct .. it's all but impossible to accurately repair/find a leak in an evaporator coil without removing from system. a tech would have to evacuate refrigerant charge, cut out coil, install valves then pressurize with nitrogen to find a leak(s) within a coil. then what if there's another hard to find leak(s) in the outside condenser and/or it develops a new leak?

it's simply not cost effective to do above ..

Latest posts

Top Bottom