Any of you guys paint for a living?? Or for fun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need some advice on a couple of things ...

First, the guy who remodeled/refurbished our house was ... ahem ... less than skilled, apparently ... or maybe he was just a ****ing cheapskate ... anyway, the "enamel" he used on the baseboards and window sills is already peeling and chipping off. It's not like these spots are high traffic areas so I'm kinda torqued.:grumble::grumble::grumble:

Anyway, I'm guessing I need to sand this **** off before I paint? What grit do I need? And what enamel should I use? My grandpa was a carpenter but I was a dumbass kid and didn't pay attention ... do I need a basecoat of something? Am I looking for oil-based? Somebody school me ...

Ok, and second, I wanna paint some metal sculpture wall-hangings I have. So ... same kinda questions ... scuff it up before I paint, or leave it smooth? I definitely want a high-gloss enamel on this. Cover and spray?? Or will a small brush work without leaving streaks? Clear top-coat? I want a pretth deep shine on this job.

Thanks guys!! :chat:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
E47E2260-D708-415F-B033-C7714E20BE04.png
Check into the epoxy paints for your woodwork. Water clean up, fast dry and way less odor. Won’t yellow over time like enamel. I was a commercial painter for many years. This product has a self leveler in it so you can brush with minimal brush marks

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check into the epoxy paints for your woodwork. Water clean up, fast dry and way less odor. Won’t yellow over time like enamel. I was a commercial painter for many years. This product has a self leveler in it so you can brush with minimal brush marks

Ok, I will! Thanks a TON! There is a LOT of baseboard in here ... lol ...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 121999 Check into the epoxy paints for your woodwork. Water clean up, fast dry and way less odor. Won’t yellow over time like enamel. I was a commercial painter for many years. This product has a self leveler in it so you can brush with minimal brush marks

So I've got some interior work to do as well and this helps. We are also having our exterior painted, any suggestions on what to use?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F443657A-5906-4CE5-9FFE-B9F2D0069492.png
There’s probably been more testing on paints and motor oils than many other products. So, I would say that as long as you get the top of the line paint, your getting a good product. Some of the sherwin Williams stuff is crazy priced though. No way I’d pay $60 a gallon.
Get a low sheen for exterior. It reflects some sun and heat. It also won’t oxidize as fast and is easier to hose dust and dirt off.
I’m not selling paint here but I know the capabilities of the products I’ve used for 35 years. IMO, it’s hard to beat Kelly Moore 1245 exterior paint for cost and durability

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD8, you can use the epoxy on exterior also. I painted a camper shell on a truck once. Had it on for 4 years and it was just showing signs of oxidation.
It does cost more than traditional paint though

Latest posts

Top Bottom