Any of you guys paint for a living?? Or for fun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Painting can be complicated. Just move to a house that is already painted to your liking. The End
I had a rent house once. Rented to a great Mexican family that paid like clockwork. I worked with the father. They offered to paint the interior for a month's rent and I agreed, even paying for the paint when they showed a receipt.
What I should have done was ask for what colors....
I never went over there to see the results until a year or so later when they moved out.
One room red, one brown, one tan, one purple, and so on.
Cost a ton to get it all back to white walls to get back on the rental market.
My fault.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are people out there that make a living painting interiors and exteriors. I'm more than willing to contribute to the unemployment rate by hiring those folks.
Paint brushes don't touch my hands.

Painters are ridiculously expensive these days. Most are worth every penny, but they almost always insist on premium paints. Also worth every penny.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Painters are ridiculously expensive these days. Most are worth every penny, but they almost always insist on premium paints. Also worth every penny.
I agree and the same with those that want to apply texture.
I spent a week getting one room done by myself, and later on the wife wanted the whole house done like it. A crew came in and had it done in a day. Yeah, I'm done with it.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhh, you naysayers crack me up! I actually enjoy creating my own art but have no experience with metal. This will be my first. :hyper:

As far as the baseboards, there is no reason why I can't do this **** myself. I'm done with paying men for a job only to find it wasn't done right. Ain't brain surgery. I'll get it done myself.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I really appreciate it. Guess I'll get started next weekend.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhhh, you naysayers crack me up! I actually enjoy creating my own art but have no experience with metal. This will be my first. :hyper:

As far as the baseboards, there is no reason why I can't do this **** myself. I'm done with paying men for a job only to find it wasn't done right. Ain't brain surgery. I'll get it done myself.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I really appreciate it. Guess I'll get started next weekend.

And she wonders why she gets headaches... :scratch: Sheesh!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For sanding the paint off the wood I have tried many different tools from wire brushes in a drill to the soft plastic brushes in a drill.
Belt sanders with different grit and DA sanders with different grit..
All paint will act different so to nail down a specific grit is almost impossible.

Some paint likes to load up in the sand paper so 1 pass renders the sandpaper useless until you brush the paper clean if you can.

liquid strippers are messy and sometimes you can power wash wood to make it like new. but it needs to be dry before you sand and paint it.
If you were close i would let you bring a piece over here and try different tools and grits to see what worked best.
You may have the tools though.
If the wood is flat it is much easier.. if it is grooved it becomes harder to keep pretty with power tools as they can eat into the grooves or cut the top of the grooves off.

Then you do end up resorting to liquid strippers. and then hand sand what was left after you clean the mess up.

I found trim at B&B and habitat for humanity and on craigslist many times.
And I say this because the trim was cheaper than buying sandpaper.
Sometimes new trim is cheaper than buying sandpaper and paint.

I made some beautiful window seals for an entire house for my BIL from nice grade wood and routered the edges.
They looked very nice, I had him helping out.
He took them home and installed them and a week later painted them all white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea painted them. I about croaked.
I spent time making a table router and getting it all perfect and picking the prettiest grains of wood.
Oh well his house not mine.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need my house painted and my wife has this idea we are going to do it. I don’t know the first thing about painting a house. I have fiber cement siding. I watched a video and the guy has expensive equipment and he said you can’t stop during painting. It has to be one continuous spray or it will leave lap lines or something. But I’m sure if I pay to have it done it will be thousands. Guess I’m backed into a corner. If anyone has any advice I would sure welcome it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom