Any of you guys paint for a living?? Or for fun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched a video and the guy has expensive equipment and he said you can’t stop during painting. It has to be one continuous spray or it will leave lap lines or something.
On exterior painting, you can do one wall at a time. Stopping on the corners won't hurt anything, just don't overspray the finished wall when you start on the next one.

You can probably rent an airless paint rig for a weekend pretty cheap. If you've never spray-painted, you'll need some practice first. :drunk2:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still paint with a brush...
Doing siding repair / replacement now..

I prefer the Behr Ultra Premium paint myself.

20180707_122720.jpg 20180707_130107.jpg 20180707_211908.jpg 20180709_205529.jpg 20180801_192911.jpg

Last edited:

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 122001 There’s probably been more testing on paints and motor oils than many other products. So, I would say that as long as you get the top of the line paint, your getting a good product. Some of the sherwin Williams stuff is crazy priced though. No way I’d pay $60 a gallon.
Get a low sheen for exterior. It reflects some sun and heat. It also won’t oxidize as fast and is easier to hose dust and dirt off.
I’m not selling paint here but I know the capabilities of the products I’ve used for 35 years. IMO, it’s hard to beat Kelly Moore 1245 exterior paint for cost and durability
I use 1245 and 1247 regularly.
Excellent products.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I still paint with a brush...
Doing siding repair / replacement now..

I prefer the Behr Ultra Premium paint myself.

View attachment 122055 View attachment 122057 View attachment 122056 View attachment 122054 View attachment 122053

Looks great Catt!! Graco sells a cheap airless that will pay for itself in that house your working on LOL!! I had one I wore smooth out just cleaned thoroughly after use , had it for about 5 years !! s://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-TrueCoat-360-Airless-Paint-Sprayer-16Y385/300183684?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cVF

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need my house painted and my wife has this idea we are going to do it. I don’t know the first thing about painting a house. I have fiber cement siding. I watched a video and the guy has expensive equipment and he said you can’t stop during painting. It has to be one continuous spray or it will leave lap lines or something. But I’m sure if I pay to have it done it will be thousands. Guess I’m backed into a corner. If anyone has any advice I would sure welcome it.
Fiber cement? Make sure its not asbestos. A lot of the homes built in the 40's had asbestos siding. As long as its encapsulated in the siding, it's perfectly safe, but if one tries to sand or scrape, you may release the fibers which can be dangerous.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I need my house painted and my wife has this idea we are going to do it. I don’t know the first thing about painting a house. I have fiber cement siding. I watched a video and the guy has expensive equipment and he said you can’t stop during painting. It has to be one continuous spray or it will leave lap lines or something. But I’m sure if I pay to have it done it will be thousands. Guess I’m backed into a corner. If anyone has any advice I would sure welcome it.

Was he showing painting newly installed siding? New cement siding will suck up the paint and show overlap but if is has a couple coats already you should be good to paint how ever you want. Watch the video again and if the siding was yellow or grey (like the color of cement) it was new!!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fiber cement? Make sure its not asbestos. A lot of the homes built in the 40's had asbestos siding. As long as its encapsulated in the siding, it's perfectly safe, but if one tries to sand or scrape, you may release the fibers which can be dangerous.

You haven't heard yet? The EPA has greenlit asbestos exceptions again for manufacturers, depending on the product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom