Any of you guys paint for a living?? Or for fun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t scrimp on tools either. Good tools will do some of the work for you. Purdy brushes and lambs wool roller naps. I’ve had brushes last 10 being used almost daily and rollers that have done a few hundred gallons of paint.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used Sherwin Williams oil based semi-gloss white enamel on my trim. It's pretty durable and looked great but, that **** was yellowing in 4 months. No more oil based for me. Next time I'll give the Kelly Moore a shot if I can find it. :pissed:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 122001 There’s probably been more testing on paints and motor oils than many other products. So, I would say that as long as you get the top of the line paint, your getting a good product. Some of the sherwin Williams stuff is crazy priced though. No way I’d pay $60 a gallon.
Get a low sheen for exterior. It reflects some sun and heat. It also won’t oxidize as fast and is easier to hose dust and dirt off.
I’m not selling paint here but I know the capabilities of the products I’ve used for 35 years. IMO, it’s hard to beat Kelly Moore 1245 exterior paint for cost and durability
Sign up for SW emails, I get a 30% off coupon every other week. When I painted my exterior I told them what I was doing, how much paint I was going to buy, and asked if they wanted the business(not at retail). They set up an "account" for me, and I got the discount on all of the paint I bought. So never pay retail at SW...

To answer the original question, the paint didn't stick because the surface was not prepared properly. So it's best to sand the trim. I don't think you need to sand it all they way, you can tell when you are sanding where the adhesion is good, and where it isn't.

I'll add that sanding trim in place is a *****, I would rather buy new trim, paint it and rip and replace the old.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Painted wood trim is not my cup of tea..I like wood to have wood look not paint. so stains for me on wood.

On the metal sculpture You can sand it or many times I have used Liquid No sand when there were areas I could not get to to sand correctly. Paint always stuck well.

You can use the Dupli- Color and Rustoleum and make dandy paint jobs with them.
I have even painted cars with them.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Annie ,painting and fun should never be in the same sentence!! :cool:
Spoken like a true painter.
I think it was a year ago, my wife decided that the guest bedroom needed a change...like a different color paint. The old paint (if you can consider 2 year old paint old) looked great and perfect. My wife scares the crap out of me so I told her to buy the paint she wanted. My house has crown molding corner blocks and the works. I finish all my painting with an artist brush because I'm anal as hell.
Anyway, she picked the color (I wasn't crazy about it but ok), I moved all the furniture and covered the floor, taped off all the trim and so on. Wife probably looked at the paint about 10 times that night before. Saturday came bright and early and I prepared the paint for the first coat. Wife came in and I ran her right out. I don't like the way she paints and I have ocd. She came in occasionally as I moved slowly from wall to wall. When I was almost half finished with the last wall, she tells me she hates it. I asked "hate what"? She told me the color.
Like any beat down husband of decades of scars and sorrow, I asked why the hell did she not say that on the first wall?
No response. A real man would have told her to live with it. The King of the Castle would have lost a screw and explained the amount of work has gone into it and how it can't be changed. But I'm neither. I told her to go pick up the color she wanted and I would redo it Sunday.
It was the same color we had.
Some of you would say I have to turn in my man card, but that thing was suspended after the wedding.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spray painted some pine trim with semi-gloss rustoleum once. Granted, it was primed, but 15 years later, still looks like could have been done last week. The real bummer is pulling it. You don't want to spray rattlecans inside.

Don't know about epoxy, but the Kelly Moore and Sherwin Williams acrylic trim paints last their longest in a satin finish or shinier finish, at least in my experience. But you can expect to spend almost as much oer gallon for their primer. If you want to cut that sticker shock, I've had great luck priming/stain locking with Kilz Premium (gold label) It's about a third of the price.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are people out there that make a living painting interiors and exteriors. I'm more than willing to contribute to the unemployment rate by hiring those folks.
Paint brushes don't touch my hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom