Anybody have a ICD (implantable cardioverter-defibrillator)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I may be getting one sometime soon, what's it like living with one? Ever been shocked? Driving restrictions?
I've read tons of info on the internet, just wondering if anyone here has any experience.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can function something like a pacemaker, but if your rhythm gets too far out of whack it will shock you like the paddles in the ER to try and get the rhythm back to normal.
Oh DAMN. That would be weird. It looks like the probe is inserted in the heart so the shock may be not nearly as severe as paddles.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh DAMN. That would be weird. It looks like the probe is inserted in the heart so the shock may be not nearly as severe as paddles.
I've read posts from people that say it's not that bad and some say it's like being kicked by a mule.
I've found med articles that say about a third of people pass out after being shocked.
Seems like it's pretty individual, and the devices can be programmed in all sorts of ways.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father had one for many years. t shocked him twice, once i tkicked him hard the other time he only found out after they downloaded data from it. He had to be careful about getting too close to any strong magnets. An analog phone line was needed to download data from it - that has probably changed by now. It kept his heart from beating too fast or too slow. He didn't die of heart failure, much to the surprise of his cardiologist.

Last edited:

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like I may be getting one sometime soon, what's it like living with one? Ever been shocked? Driving restrictions?
I've read tons of info on the internet, just wondering if anyone here has any experience.
My B-I-L got one 4-5 months ago, says he doesn't really notice it now. It hasn't shocked him and he has no driving restrictions (after initial recovery from implanting).

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother has had two and is going in for his third soon. The batteries wear out after about 6-7 years. He’s 36. When his kicks, he knows it. It usually requires a trip to the er for a checkup. He says it hurts like dickens and then he’s exhausted. He’s also had ablation and aversions done.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had 4 different Pacemaker Defibrillator (P/D) units since 2005 and have been shocked one time in 2010 when my bodies' electrical system shut down and my heart stopped cold. The P/D saved my life by getting my heart beating again and I was back to normal in a couple three minutes, and yes the shock is like being kicked by a young mule but it will restart your heart.

After that experience I have lived a better life knowing I have an onboard life support and information system that can and does work. The system I have is set for a pulse rate of 60 beats per minute and monitors and stops atrial defibrillation. The system I have monitors and reports my P/D activity via a module in my home over a 24 hour period and if there are issues I get and alert both on the monitor and via email, text and phone call from the clinical staff at the hospital. I go in every 90 days to have the system function checked history read by the clinical staff.

Also if you are having issues with heart beat and such problems the newer P/D's can be programed to address the different issues that need addressed. The technicians worked on mine about 3 times until I felt great and truthfully don't even know I have one installed unless I happen to touch it unit. One thing to note...... I WILL NOT Let anyone touch my chest near the implant area especially "security people" as the pressure makes the area hurt like hell.

I wish I had one installed from day one after my by quad pass surgery in 2001because I know I would have had a better quality of know not worrying when the next heart issue would occur. IMHO its better to know that I have a heart related issue then wondering WTF is happening now

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom