Anybody

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got some buddies who live on indian land out here and they say the same thing, they have a couple hundred acres just east of town and they hunt whatever they want year round.

and did you hunt out here by bristow or closer to the depew-milfay area, they have alot more indian land out that way.

dang, i did not realize how far away we drove today. it is just outside cromwell. It really did not seem like we went that far. i guess i was a little excited.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's even worse.

well legally we cant take the game if it's a control thing. I know of guys who still do it up there, Javelina are fun to hunt, and can be dangerous if you unknowingly happen upon em. Also Javelina not only share physical traits with pigs, but they are also just as much as a nuicance to some folks in the southwest, they keep the horses skiddish and have been know to attack tourists who get too close, or who happen to leave their cabins while the javelina are going through their trash.

one of the guys I hunted for up there owned a weekend ranch, where people could get out and take trailrides, and watch some of the cowboys herd wild mustangs and stuff, but he had literally hundreds of Javelina out on his land, and they had more than once disrupted trail rides and scared customers off. So he reported the incidents and was given the right to get em off the land.

It's the equivalent of the guys in texas who do controlled hog hunting clearing the pigs from peoples crops.

I didn't like having to leave the game there when I could get some awesome hams, and chops.(Javelina is awesome, and much leaner than your everyday pig)But legally we couldn't keep the game, it had to be disposed of, usually buried.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I may have found a good spot to hunt, somebody told me Canton Lake has alot of em and they run dogs out there. It's a bit of a drive but I might head out there next weekend to get my little brother out of the house. probably leave friday evening, camp a night and hunt all day saturday.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have found a good spot to hunt, somebody told me Canton Lake has alot of em and they run dogs out there. It's a bit of a drive but I might head out there next weekend to get my little brother out of the house. probably leave friday evening, camp a night and hunt all day saturday.

There are public lands a lot closer to Bristow that have hogs than Canton Lake WMA. With Canton WMA they are there off and on, usually when it is drier they move onto the WMA cause a lot of it is the river bottom land. With all the rain they have likely scattered. Goodluck!

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well legally we cant take the game if it's a control thing. I know of guys who still do it up there, Javelina are fun to hunt, and can be dangerous if you unknowingly happen upon em. Also Javelina not only share physical traits with pigs, but they are also just as much as a nuicance to some folks in the southwest, they keep the horses skiddish and have been know to attack tourists who get too close, or who happen to leave their cabins while the javelina are going through their trash.

one of the guys I hunted for up there owned a weekend ranch, where people could get out and take trailrides, and watch some of the cowboys herd wild mustangs and stuff, but he had literally hundreds of Javelina out on his land, and they had more than once disrupted trail rides and scared customers off. So he reported the incidents and was given the right to get em off the land.
I didn't like having to leave the game there when I could get some awesome hams, and chops.(Javelina is awesome, and much leaner than your everyday pig)But legally we couldn't keep the game, it had to be disposed of, usually buried.

:screwy:

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's the equivalent of the guys in texas who do controlled hog hunting clearing the pigs from peoples crops.

Uh huh. Fun Fact #1: I grew up in Arizona and spent my childhood chasing javelina all over the desert north of Phoenix. There's nothing you can tell me about them that I don't likely already know. There's nowhere in Arizona that can sustain "hundreds" of javelina. Fun Fact #2: My uncle retired last year from the Arizona Game & Fish Department, where he was a lead biologist. A quick phone call to him reveals that either you or the rancher is full of crap. Worst case scenario would be that the G&F would relocate them.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

He is right about the hogs being at Canton in dry years but scattered in the crop lands otherwise. I have hunted there for years and in dry years, they will be close to the river but when it is wet, you will find them all over the countryside. You might check with the area biologist too. I think the rules of that gma used to be that you could not hunt them unless it was during a season where you could be carrying a rifle anyway. May be different now but you might want to check with him before you go and find out the hard way.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uh huh. Fun Fact #1: I grew up in Arizona and spent my childhood chasing javelina all over the desert north of Phoenix. There's nothing you can tell me about them that I don't likely already know. There's nowhere in Arizona that can sustain "hundreds" of javelina. Fun Fact #2: My uncle retired last year from the Arizona Game & Fish Department, where he was a lead biologist. A quick phone call to him reveals that either you or the rancher is full of crap. Worst case scenario would be that the G&F would relocate them.

:uberblast

Latest posts

Top Bottom