Anyone remember Mashburn Arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up my dad’s go to shotgun was a 16ga. He reloaded most of his shells and I remember making the trip to various stores for reloading supplies with him. Mashburn was one of stops along with a place near Britton and Western. I had to be under 10 at the time.

My first shotgun that dad bought me came from Southwest Shooters. My choices were down to a Browning BPS and a new in the box Ithica 37. Ithica was a dying company at the time… and Browning is, well Browning so the 12 year old in me had to have the Browning. It always was a great gun, but looking back I sure wish I had bought the Ithica.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought quite a bit of reloading equipment from Mashburn's. They had a box in a corner of the store that had used reloading reloading stuff in it. I got my Lyman case trimmer, a RCBS primer tool, lots of trimmer pilots, a powder trickler and a Lyman Sizer/Lubricator out of that box. Several of the pieces had a sticker with the initials H.C. I always thought that was Hayden. Does anyone know if his initials were H.C.B.? If I remember right he had a full head of white hair and was blind in one eye. Am I right or just wrong? I also have acquired a pre-64 Model 70 Win. .270 that Mr. Mashburn rechambered to .270 Mashburn. I have never seen in anything I have read where there was such an animal as a .270 Mashburn Improved. I had Hornady make me a set of custom dies for it. Can anyone here confirm if Art regularly had a .270 Mashburn Improved in his group of cartridges? There was a cartridge board in the shop that displayed chamberings but I only remember the 7mm Mashburn Improved.
Don't know if Hayden's middle initial was a C or not. But he did wear a patch and had a full head of white hair. As I said, he was my dad's uncle.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hayden was Art Mashburn’s partner. When Art retired, he sold Arnold Beck, his nephew, 51% of the business leaving Hayden 49%. Beck commenced to drink and gamble it away.
Thanks for that info Ramco. Although he was a relative, ( my dad's uncle), I didn't/don't know much about his career choices. I thought he was part owner, but was not certain. He and my grandfather created a fairly large clan of Bryce's, with his, ( I believe) 16 and my Grandpa's 13 kids. So you can see that it would be difficult to know the specifics of any one family member.

OkieShutr

Marksman
Reaction score
Sure miss those real gun shops. I bought my first deer rifle from Mashburns in the early 70's. Killed an elk with it at the Wichita Mtns in '77. That gun would shoot most with my hand loads from a single Lee loader. Sure wish I still had it.
Remember Oklahoma Firearms and Archery that was next to Save Auto near 10th and MacArthur? I used to work there part time.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lady that worked the checkout counter at SW Shooters was just about the nicest lady I’d ever met. Always friendly, smiling and would talk your ear off.

Never knew her name though.
Ran into a guy the other day that worked at Southwest, her name was Terri Bates and he said she passed away some years back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom