AR sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aside what JEVpa said, if youre going to hunt with it also, Id get something a lil more rugged than a sightmark. I know from experience red dots and scopes can break when you slip on a wet rock or mud and bust you 4th point of contact

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Sightmark id just for night calling coyotes or looking for heifers/cows during calving time.

I’d like to have a thermal but I’m not paying several grand for one for what little I use it for.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like you want a set up for home defense only.

Personally, I have one AR with a Vortex Spitfire 1X Prism sight for HD use. It has a simple etched reticle that you can use even if it's turned off.

There is a member here that has some Spitfires for sale at a good price.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sights and optics are two different things to me. I’ve used KAC front and rear BUIS on the four I’ve built. Expensive but that is what I like.

I just took a set of Magpul off a new FN15 I bought. I’ll list them on ebay eventually but they looked very serviceable to me and new they are about $89 for the set.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once hip shot an Antelope at 550 yards! Didn't hold enough for wind, but I can attest that a hip shot will slow them down enough to chase up on them and finish them off🤪

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What red dot you get depends on your budget, what you're comfortable with, and so on.

Also depends on what you want to do country of origin wise.

My suggestions:

China made: Primary arms lower end, lower end vortex, holosun.

'Muricuh made: Trijicon, Eotech, Aimpoint.

I've find that Holosun and Trijicon are always found to be the most durable/reliable in terms of tiny. Trijicon, vortex, aimpoint, and holosun make good midsized options. Larger options I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Eotech can have quality issues more than the rest of these it seems. If you're feeling really cheap, I have not been disappointed by anything I have purchased from primary arms.

Me personally, if I'm wanting to rely upon something for up close protection, I'm reaching for holosun (any size), Trijicon (any size), or aimpoint (medium to large). I'm also grabbing a quality light so that I can ID my targets and not be shooting the dog or wife cause they ran into the coffee table when the lights are off.

I like medium sized stuff for an AR, and pistol red dots for HD shotgun use to cowitness with my irons.

Last edited:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The amount of suggestions for “shooting from the hip” or reflex firing without sights is disturbing.

For RDS on the cheaper end I’d say Sig Romeo 4 series (NOT the 5), Holosun or Primary Arms.

Mid-upper- I’m an Aimpoint guy. I’ve broken a PRO, but that was an anomaly. Eotech recall made me a little hinky about them, and the 512 series never really got me going.

LPVO- Viper PST isn’t lower end. It’s actually upper middle.
Lower end bust mostly sold: PA SLX ‘Nova’ 1-6 (I haven’t shot this one, but reviews are good and I will end up with one), Sig Tango MSR, or Strike Eagle.

Also you say you’re thinking about it for Home Defense. Just so you know, unsuppressed rifles fired indoors are obscene. Just a consideration.

ETA: I’ve used a Trijicon TR24G for about 10 years. If you can find a used one for a good deal, I’d consider getting it. It’s only 1-4, but it’s solid.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The amount of suggestions for “shooting from the hip” or reflex firing without sights is disturbing.

For RDS on the cheaper end I’d say Sig Romeo 4 series (NOT the 5), Holosun or Primary Arms.

Mid-upper- I’m an Aimpoint guy. I’ve broken a PRO, but that was an anomaly. Eotech recall made me a little hinky about them, and the 512 series never really got me going.

LPVO- Viper PST isn’t lower end. It’s actually upper middle.
Lower end bust mostly sold: PA SLX ‘Nova’ 1-6 (I haven’t shot this one, but reviews are good and I will end up with one), Sig Tango MSR, or Strike Eagle.

Also you say you’re thinking about it for Home Defense. Just so you know, unsuppressed rifles fired indoors are obscene. Just a consideration.

ETA: I’ve used a Trijicon TR24G for about 10 years. If you can find a used one for a good deal, I’d consider getting it. It’s only 1-4, but it’s solid.
I recently picked up one of those PA SLX Nova LPVO’s. I’m extremely impressed with it so far, but I haven’t shot it. Crazy bright illumination, I’m no scope aficionado, but to me the glass looks better than a Viper PST or the comparable Sig and Burris offerings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom