are moison nagant rifles good for deer and hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The MN is a fine rifle. The only trick is it does not have a hunter-friendly safety. It has a military-style, administrative safety. I'm sure the cannon fodder marched on empty chamber and put a round in the pipe before action - no safety. "Ees gun - dangerous!"

Reaction score
Someone has asked me to clarify....by my above statements, I mean YES! Provided you have good eyes and can see those iron sights in low light, and provided you know how to hit with it. And provided you are strong enough to carry it around while hunting.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The MN is a fine rifle. The only trick is it does not have a hunter-friendly safety. It has a military-style, administrative safety. I'm sure the cannon fodder marched on empty chamber and put a round in the pipe before action - no safety. "Ees gun - dangerous!"

When I brought this up earlier and no one made any response, I began to wonder what the MN users have chosen to do about the safety issue. And it is an issue. My suspicion is that a good many folks just carry it off safety. For me, the choices are either an empty chamber or using the near impossible safety, either one of which reduces its practicality as a hunting weapon.

If you are interested I will PM directions to modify the bolt so persons of less than freakish strength can operate the safety. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom