Attention Plumbers help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a frost free hydrant out back and its giving me problems. I dont use it often so I'm not sure when this happened. For some reason the flow rate has dropped to a trickle when it used to have a very heavy flow So I through I would adjust the rod thing in the middle that attaches to the handle so it would lift a little higher. So I did, only adjusted it about 1 turn of the nut. Now I have a pretty good flow again but the next day I go out to water the cows and its all soupy and wet around the faucet. Water is running below for some reason. So I adjust it back down a little and monitor the water meter to see if there is still water moving. There was so I adjusted it some more until I got the water to stop below but now I am back to a trickle up top. Do I need to rebuild the insides or replace it?
Replacing would be prefered over rebuiding because once I shut the water off, it will be off until I track down the parts and get it done. Assuming things go the way they normally do and Murphy shows up, I'll have no water for days and have to call a plumber out. However, is there a secret to these to adjust it? Its not dripping up top.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most are not made to be rebuilt or repaired.

Buy a new one for under $50. After you dig the hole to the connection it takes about 3-minutes to unscrew the old one and tape threads/screw in the new one.

Make sure the weep hole on the bottom is open and able to flow water into underground sand/gravel.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most are not made to be rebuilt or repaired.

Buy a new one for under $50. After you dig the hole to the connection it takes about 3-minutes to unscrew the old one and tape threads/screw in the new one.

Are you a plumber? I havent found a faucet that cant be taken apart and refurbished. They sell kits to replace the rubber seals inside them. They seem to be brand specific though.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
repair parts kit
d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net_product_full_2NRE8_AS01.JPG

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you a plumber? I havent found a faucet that cant be taken apart and refurbished. They sell kits to replace the rubber seals inside them. They seem to be brand specific though.
^^^ That parts kit doesn't replace the inlet seat or the area that has the weep hole.

I'm not a plumber, but I have repaired/replaced around 50 of these. The newest ones aren't built like the old style. The last ones I bought came with a tag that warns to not take it apart.

I have found that it isn't worth the time and hassle to work on one when it is so easy to replace.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but I have repaired/replaced around 50 of these. The newest ones aren't built like the old style. The last ones I bought came with a tag that warns to not take it apart.

I have found that it isn't worth the time and hassle to work on one when it is so easy to replace.

Oh I see. I guess I'll break out the shovel then. lol Thanks.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant recall the brand I just installed without looking at it, but the entire assembly is held in with a set screw. This makes it where you can spin the head to any direction you like, and when its time for a rebuild you loosen the set screw and all the internals pull out through the top with no digging. You can then replace anything you need and slip it back together...

Seems like it was a Baker Hydrant, or Campbell maybe...

EDIT: Found it Baker Monitor Hydrant

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant recall the brand I just installed without looking at it, but the entire assembly is held in with a set screw. This makes it where you can spin the head to any direction you like, and when its time for a rebuild you loosen the set screw and all the internals pull out through the top with no digging. You can then replace anything you need and slip it back together...

Seems like it was a Baker Hydrant, or Campbell maybe...

That good to know. Was it more expensive for this type?

Latest posts

Top Bottom