AUSTIN, my wife yells. I see the crib where my daughter should be...empty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last night when my wife and I go to bed we leaft the AC on. When the AC is on we leave the vent in our daughters room closed, her vent is the closest one to the inside unit and her room gets colder then the rest of the house. My wife woke up at 3 this morning, cold, and went and turned the heater on, I love Oklahoma weather. I told her to open the vent in our daughters room so her room would get some heat.

My wife goes into her room and I hear, "AUSTIN" in her something wrong voice.

So I run into her room, flip on the light, and look in the crib and there is no 2 year old in the crib. This is where my heart stops beating. I notice my wife is not freaking out so I start looking around and I see my little girl setting in the rocking chair we have in her room, covered up with a blanket she pulled out of her crib with a smile on her face and she says, "Hi, dada," waves, and goes back to rocking the chair by her self.

As my heart starts beating again and descends from my throat, our sweet girl picks up on the fact that mama and dada are worked up about something and she starts to get upset. I pick her up and hand her to my wife and she calms down. I take her and get into the rocking chair and rock her for about 20 minutes. She hold on to me really tightly for the majority of that time. Eventually she relaxes and I put her back in her crib.

I got up to get ready for work this morning and checked her crib and she was still asleep. This was the first time she has crawled out of her crib.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I feel for ya. I've been there. I have a 3 year old. Luckily, over the last two years, my daughter's bedroom door hinges started to squeak, and I have left it like that intentionally so I can hear when she opens the door. Even in a dead sleep, it wakes me up now.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My just turned 3 year old can open the back yard gate... Momma almost called the local PD in a tissy until we found him still in our cul-de-sac with the neighbors dog! It will age you!

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a month after we moved into our new house, I came in from the shop and took a quick shower, then my wife leaves for class one evening. We have hotel-style latches on all the doors so my youngest could not get out, he defeated EVERY child-proofing method, even the clip-on handle covers. I come downstairs to make dinner. The older kids were watching TV. I ask where is Ben. They say the don't know. My oldest was supposed to have been watching him. The front door is secure. Then I check the back doors. yard doo is secure, but the garage door is not. Wife left the garage door open. I go outside and find my 2 year old across the street playing on neighbor's swing set. He crossed a very busy country road at drive time. I had about 40 stickers in my bare feet from running through the yard to get him. I almost threw up, I was actually dry heaving it upset me so much. I still get chills thinking about it 7 years later.

It only takes a second. Girls are usually not a curios, but it still happens. Be safe. Secure your firearms, knives, and doors. At one point, we only had butter knives in my house because the youngest liked to look at the sharp ones...

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think about this, you have only known that little person for 2 years. Did you ever imagine, you could love someone soooooooo much in such a short period of time.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest use to get up and come to our bed and lay in the floor right where i throw my feet when i get up out of bed what a surprise i got the first morning i found her there she done that for a few months then started crawling in bed and laying between my legs penning them down with the covers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom