Beans and Cornbread Day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a change of pace we have 7 bean soup several times. it is delicious. For a change of cornbread make the batter a little thinner and pan fry it like a pancake. That does it for me because I like the crusty part.

nighttrain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beans beans good for heart , the more you eat the more you fart, the better you feel you eat beans for every meal! :)

Ok any way that gave me a good meal plan for this week. Can we get some recipe ?

advmotoxc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks different - more colorful - than the monochrome pot of white beans and ham my parents us to fix. I see darker beans, tomato even?

Gotta recipe you'd care to share?

Sure
it was a 16 bean soup
Pineapple & brown sugar ham from crockpot
onions
garlic
can of mild rotel
Tony's
Salt & pepper
Ground mustard

And like any stew or soup, it's so much better the next day, so I put it in the fridge over night.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im Osage-Kaw indian and have been eating various bean and dried corn dishes all my life. My full blood Osage gramma made old fashioned corn soups and my Osage-Kaw grampa liked this thick soup with beans and dried corn that his Kaw momma used to make. I like it too and have ate it ever since I was born I think. After my gramma passed my mom started making the soups and now me and my brothers and sisters all make em. The wife and kids beg me for the beans n dried corn soup when it first gets cold, but its a ***** to make. Cold is here, so I guess I better get a pot going for them this weekend.

Easy recipe if you can find the stuff to make it. I prefer to use navy beans but great white are ok. I then have to find a box of Copes dried corn ( our closest store- CountryMart in Coweta- carries it, but some dont, and finding real dried corn like I suppose my great grandmother used to use is rare. I find the Copes in the canned corn section, back home in California and other places I have found it in the soup section. A few stores near places I have lived that didnt carry it would order it for me. If Im in a place and cant find it I just order it online. ( http://www.johncopes.com/ ). Last thing to grab is a big package of thick and meaty pork country style ribs. ( Pretty sure my ancestors used buffalo meat or whatever they caught when they made this, so even though I havent tried it, it might be great with most any type of fatty rib meat).

I sort and rinse the dry beans then add to a large cook pot, add a package of the driedcorn, and then fill the pot about half or more with water. I crank the heat on high until I get the water boiling then at boil I add the country style ribs and drop the heat to low simmering the beans for 4-5 hours, stirring here and there to keep it from sticking on the bottom, adding water if need to until near the last hour or until its as thick as I like it. I dont add any salt or pepper at the beginning but the last 30 minutes I will finally add salt to taste, about a tablespoon or more. Im not a big salt freak so others would prolly add a little more. I figure people will add it at the table anyways. 15 minutes til done I fish out all of the pork bones and try to smash the pieces of meat into smaller chunks with my wooden spoon, the fat off the ribs should have rendered down by now to make the soup thick and tasty. My gramma would make fry bread to serve with hers, my mom makes fry bread with hers, and I have made it too, but ever since I lived in San Francisco and got hooked on sourdough I like that with mine these days. Plus the fry bread making is a real bigassed mess even though its very yummy when done. I save that for indian tacos. A roll or baguette of French bread works great too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom