Bow and arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v2a

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With this new scare of the government taking away our gun rights, along with the insane price of ammo, I am thinking of investing in a bow. I figure you can reuse the arrow and also my hunting season would be longer.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Archery is a great sport to get involved in. Get a long bow, they are fun! All the new types have a bunch of bells and whistles on them, and its ridiculous how expensive they can be. A long bow or recurve has a faster rate of fire, and is more rewarding to shoot, in my opinion.

Any recommendations on a recurve or long bow? I shot compounds as a kid and wished I'd stuck with it.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a recurve or long bow? I shot compounds as a kid and wished I'd stuck with it.

I would look for a used Bear or Martin recurve. You should be able to find a nice bow for about $150. I would start with at least a 40lb draw, so it is legal for hunting.
If you want a compound, now is the time to buy. It's getting near the end of bow season. You should expect to find fully rigged one year old bows w/ arrows selling about $200 less than retail.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get too focused on reuse of arrows except in practice. I have killed several critters (alas, no deer) with my bow. Never yet been able to reuse an arrow. Critters killed, hogs, racoon, armadillos, turkeys.

For fast deployment, a longbow would be best. I am too weak currently to use one effectively. My compound bow is at its minimum of 50 pounds, and it's a struggle to draw it, but if you have average or better strength it's a good way to go.

Longbows were what put knights in armor out of business. Check this out:

http://www.longbow-archers.com/historyagincourt.html

The short version is that the Brits kicked the crap out of a much larger French army primarily by the use of longbows, which had an effective range of around 220 meters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom