Bow and arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My uncle makes long bows and we make our own arrows. Sometimes we buy arrow shafts or even dowell rods since it is quicker than making the shafts from scratch, but either is definateley doable

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a recurve or long bow? I shot compounds as a kid and wished I'd stuck with it.

Black widow recurves are awesome. Having said that, I only use long bows made by my uncle. Unfortunately, he is too buisy with his day job and family to make bows for customers.

TurboSixPiston

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a shooter of both bows and guns since I was 8, I can say from experience that it takes far more dicipline at any age to become consistent and proficient than with rifles or handguns. Discipline is a good thing. The difficulty is what makes it appealing to me. My interest in firearms stems from the practical uses of such weapons, not the fun factor.

If your interest lies in compounds, there's nothing wrong with getting a used one. The technology used changes almost as quickly as electronics. They don't hold their value like guns, it's not hard to find a dressed bow (sights and all) for $350 when three or four years ago it was $799 or $899 bare. I have over 1k in mine (new in '07) and I'd be thrilled to get $450 for it should I ever sell it, but, like my guns, I'll never let it go.

As far as traditional bows go, I haven't shot traditional in years, as when I outgrew mine I stayed with compound and gave mine to a co-workers 9 year old daughter, who has been having a blast with it. Mine was a Bear.

If you choose to get serious, invest in a target with multiple bullseyes. With most compound bows made in the last 10 - 15 years, they are capable of consistent "robin hood" levels of accuracy from 30+ yards and less, should you do your part. Although reusable, arrows are expensive initially, so when you repeatedly destroy them by putting one into another, it adds up. That's why you need a target with more than one place to shoot at. Keep a package of spare nocks on hand just in case.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/draw-length-weight.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As always Great info on this site.
Bows can be very accurate, with practice.
Most if not all serious bowhunters get rid of their bows about every 2 years, my bowhunting friend says.
So Very nice ones can be had , fairly inexpensive.
Re-using arrows can be harmful, especially after hitting a Hard target, they have a tendency to shatter or not fly, correctly.
Now ...good Luck on finding one, now that the secret is out..... ;)

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would look for a used Bear or Martin recurve. You should be able to find a nice bow for about $150. I would start with at least a 40lb draw, so it is legal for hunting.
If you want a compound, now is the time to buy. It's getting near the end of bow season. You should expect to find fully rigged one year old bows w/ arrows selling about $200 less than retail.

Thanks backspur.

Latest posts

Top Bottom