Bow and arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Archery is a great sport to get involved in. Get a long bow, they are fun! All the new types have a bunch of bells and whistles on them, and its ridiculous how expensive they can be. A long bow or recurve has a faster rate of fire, and is more rewarding to shoot, in my opinion.

Wouldn't that make it an Assault Bow? :D

Caliyanks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got one for Xmas and never shot a bow ever. It is a ton of fun. I'll tell you what, I don't know Bow buying trends but I have been trying since before XMAS to get my with a left handed Bear homewrecker and every where we have gone Bow stocks have been super low and online stuff not much better. Bass pro and Cabelas were loaded, but now the pickings are slim. Anyway, thought the same as you. Go for it. Family loves shooting my bow as well.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually invested in a nice little bow this past season, just didn't get out to hunt so I have been target shooting in the back yard. I love messing with my bow, its a PSE Deer Hunter with 27" draw set maxed at 55lbs. I'd say having good skills with as many weapons as possible is a good way to look at it. A bow can be a very effective weapon with silence on its side.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no investing in a high end compound bow as mentioned. No matter how good they are they don't hold their value. However you can buy a very good bow and as long as you don't fall into the "I have to have the newest, fastest, coolest bow" every year or two you'll be fine. I have over a thousand dollars in mine and being several years old it's value is less than half of that. Of course that doesn't matter because it's still a high end bow and shoots every bit as good now as it ever has. Point being, look for someone else's used super bow, spend half of what a new one costs and you've got a very good bow and you won't have to cry as depreciation makes new bow buyers sob like children.

Reusing arrows is fine depending on the arrow type and what you hit with it. Aluminum arrows don't have a great track record of surviving hard hits but good quality carbon arrows will often shock you with what they can handle. I've actually missed the target slamming my carbon arrow into a brick wall, where it stuck, then pulled it out and it wasn't even damaged (you have look VERY closely though, a carbon arrow exploding when released will make you need clean undies). They aren't indestructible by any means but between wood or aluminum they'll usually last longer.

Anyone who isn't an experienced bow-person should have someone qualified look at any bow you're thinking of buying to make sure it's safe and there aren't any little explosions waiting to happen.

I think it's always best to start with and become comfortable with a recurve before buying your first compound bow but that's just me. There are some really good ones out there but remember to keep your recurve after moving up to a compound because almost everyone I know who have shot compounds eventually go back to shooting recurves or long bow for the challenge of it.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no investing in a high end compound bow as mentioned. No matter how good they are they don't hold their value. However you can buy a very good bow and as long as you don't fall into the "I have to have the newest, fastest, coolest bow" every year or two you'll be fine. I have over a thousand dollars in mine and being several years old it's value is less than half of that. Of course that doesn't matter because it's still a high end bow and shoots every bit as good now as it ever has. Point being, look for someone else's used super bow, spend half of what a new one costs and you've got a very good bow and you won't have to cry as depreciation makes new bow buyers sob like children.

Reusing arrows is fine depending on the arrow type and what you hit with it. Aluminum arrows don't have a great track record of surviving hard hits but good quality carbon arrows will often shock you with what they can handle. I've actually missed the target slamming my carbon arrow into a brick wall, where it stuck, then pulled it out and it wasn't even damaged (you have look VERY closely though, a carbon arrow exploding when released will make you need clean undies). They aren't indestructible by any means but between wood or aluminum they'll usually last longer.

Anyone who isn't an experienced bow-person should have someone qualified look at any bow you're thinking of buying to make sure it's safe and there aren't any little explosions waiting to happen.

I think it's always best to start with and become comfortable with a recurve before buying your first compound bow but that's just me. There are some really good ones out there but remember to keep your recurve after moving up to a compound because almost everyone I know who have shot compounds eventually go back to shooting recurves or long bow for the challenge of it.

Good post.

I got mine from my cousin for free. He had it in his closet cause he bought a new bow. I took it to Bass Pro & had them check it out, measure draw, wax the string & inspect it, check the peep alignment & install a arrow rest. Then it was time for me to go sight it in & start shooting. I have under $100 invested in my bow not including the cheapo carbon arrows from walmart, a release & some field tips for practice. Was pretty cheap to get into. you can get some good scores on craigslist after bow season though for those interested.

This was my first bow in years, I shot a old recurve as a child but I went compound this go round, the break-over of a compound makes it alot easier to hold if you need to wait for a shot once at full draw. I cant imagine tryin to hold the same length of time with a standard recurve, it would wear your fingers/arms out I'd think.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If purchasing a used compound bow I suggest you take a couple cotton balls with you to look at it. Most compound bows have fiberglass limbs and aluminum risers. Damage to a riser should be obvious, strings and cables can be replaced very easily and fairly cheap, but limb damage can be difficult to detect and that can be a costly fix. Take the cotton balls and rub them all over the limbs. If you see cotton fibers being pulled away and clinging to the limbs it's probably a good idea to pass on that bow.

v2a

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
good idea about the cotton ball. I will be taking a buddy of mine with me when I find a bow I am interested in. Brandi, with regards to the recurve why do you suggest learning with it?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I havent shot a bow in a long while but last time i did i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Of course said bow had a on adjustable 30in draw length and i was 16.

Latest posts

Top Bottom