Car Rentals @ Will Rogers Airport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They had cars back then?

Yeah but you hand to use a hand crank to start 'em LOL.

Boy that was a nightmare for my sister. She assumed the risk, rented the car, and gave it to me, 19, home from first overseas assignment and heading to another one. Pocket full of cash and free to roam.

I crashed into a lady in a liquor store parking lot on day two, paid her $100 for the minor dent on her bumper, kicked my headlight straight and headed to Rhode Island to spend a week with some friends who'd rented a house on the beach for the summer. Received a parking ticket while there which I threw in the gutter, and it turned into a $200 fine after they tracked my sister down through the rental company.

Between the damage and the parking ticket, we'll just say my big sister was pretty peeved at me for a couple years. Good times.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They could go thru an agency on their base or (I don't know what the Navy calls it) the base travel agency, the one that makes airline and car rental reservations when traveling on orders. There should be someone located either right on the base or near there that caters to military personnel.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and DIL couldn't rent one either when they were their age. I think you must have a credit card also. Sad because they are in the military and serving their country.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly they won't. Kinda fawked up rule. Kinda like they can take a bullet for America and can't buy a beer. Screwed up but that's how they do business sadly. Good luck.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a business opportunity…rental agency specializing in renting cars to underage GIs.

You'll probably go out of business pretty quick after all the wrecks, used condoms, beer cans and other shenanigans LOL.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent you a pm dude. I didnt read your first posts closely enough. check your pm's.

Thanks, Uncle money bags! Looks like she's in the pipe with Hertz, and probably the boy is, too. I appreciate all of the PMs and kind offers from everyone. I was set to drive up there, but it looks like Hertz is pretty decent. When I would come home on leave and land at DFW, I'd just take a taxi to the bus station and take a Grey Hound to Sherman, where my parents would pick me up. I don't know why my kids thought they were above taking a bus from OKC to Durant, but oh well. Billy said he'd spend like a whole day waiting for the scheduled bus - such impatience.

To be young and home on leave...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First time I came home on leave was Christmas in '87 or '88. I was in Germany, and to save money I chose to use MAC flights. Basically, you go to the nearest AFB with troop transport capable aircraft and get on a waiting list for a flight "in the direction your headed." some got lucky and waited a short time for a flight that took them the whole distance, landing at an AFB close to their destination. Not this cat. I spent 10 days on several MAC flights on everything from a C5 to Delaware and a C9 medevac jet to Altus AFB. From Altus I took a cab to Norman. Getting back was much quicker for some reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom