College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I read his articles in the TW and the DO.

From the Tulsa World.....

"Why did I pick OU? I really just vibed with the staff and I can really buy in to what the program is offering. Before when I visited OU under Lincoln Riley, the energy wasn’t the same as it is under Brent Venables. I see how genuine and realistic they are at OU. One of the big selling points of the OU program is football isn’t forever so they want to prepare you for more than just football. That’s with all programs, but I really feel like there’s an emphasis on this at OU and with the staff Venables brought with him.

Back in 2020, when I went on my visit, I didn’t see Lincoln Riley one time. But when I went a few weeks ago, Brent Venables was there; he was present, he was energetic, he was passionate, he was bouncing off the walls. The difference in the energy between old OU and new OU stuck out like a nail on a wall.

Coach Miguel Chavis (OU’s defensive ends coach) is always gonna bring the energy, but I’m around a lot of those type of people so I am kind of used to it. But, I definitely noticed on my visit how every single person at OU was energetic. They looked like they loved what they were doing.

What finalized the decision for me was when Coach Chavis looked at me dead in the eye and said, ‘Where are you going to find another place like this? Where are you going to find a place that does what we do, everything that we do?’ I thought about that and I really couldn’t come up with an answer and that alone made me think. That’s what really stuck in my head to make me really pay attention to what Caleb Kelly was saying."

It's almost as if coaching matters.....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
From the Tulsa World.....

"Why did I pick OU? I really just vibed with the staff and I can really buy in to what the program is offering. Before when I visited OU under Lincoln Riley, the energy wasn’t the same as it is under Brent Venables. I see how genuine and realistic they are at OU. One of the big selling points of the OU program is football isn’t forever so they want to prepare you for more than just football. That’s with all programs, but I really feel like there’s an emphasis on this at OU and with the staff Venables brought with him.

Back in 2020, when I went on my visit, I didn’t see Lincoln Riley one time. But when I went a few weeks ago, Brent Venables was there; he was present, he was energetic, he was passionate, he was bouncing off the walls. The difference in the energy between old OU and new OU stuck out like a nail on a wall.

Coach Miguel Chavis (OU’s defensive ends coach) is always gonna bring the energy, but I’m around a lot of those type of people so I am kind of used to it. But, I definitely noticed on my visit how every single person at OU was energetic. They looked like they loved what they were doing.

What finalized the decision for me was when Coach Chavis looked at me dead in the eye and said, ‘Where are you going to find another place like this? Where are you going to find a place that does what we do, everything that we do?’ I thought about that and I really couldn’t come up with an answer and that alone made me think. That’s what really stuck in my head to make me really pay attention to what Caleb Kelly was saying."

It's almost as if coaching matters.....
Like I said I've read them all. Any intelligent recruit will always give praise to the university of commit, and give great thanks to any of those universities who made offers because now it's very likely that they may be playing for one of those other teams before they graduate. The next 5y will prove or disprove whether the coaching matters or not. It hasn't for the last 23y even when the same championship coach was there for 17y after the Natty, and that was without the portal and NIL obstacles to deal with. The dynasty days are over for any program imo as long as the portal and NIL exist.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said I've read them all. Any intelligent recruit will always give praise to the university of commit, and give great thanks to any of those universities who made offers because now it's very likely that they may be playing for one of those other teams before they graduate.

Interesting. What's even more interesting is that it's well known how much Texas is giving out to linemen. More than anyone else from what I've seen. God knows Tennessee ain't short on money either.

The next 5y will prove or disprove whether the coaching matters or not. It hasn't for the last 23y even when the same championship coach was there for 17y after the Natty, and that was without the portal and NIL obstacles to deal with.

Weird thing to say. Coaching doesn't matter when a program pretty much owned the Big 12, won several Heismans, etc?

The dynasty days are over for any program imo as long as the portal and NIL exist.

Wouldn't be the worst thing for college football if true. However, I'm pretty sure the powerhouses that keep the great coaches will remain.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. What's even more interesting is that it's well known how much Texas is giving out to linemen. More than anyone else from what I've seen. God knows Tennessee ain't short on money either.

Weird thing to say. Coaching doesn't matter when a program pretty much owned the Big 12, won several Heismans, etc?

Wouldn't be the worst thing for college football if true. However, I'm pretty sure the powerhouses that keep the great coaches will remain.
I don't there will be long term "great" coaches like were used to seeing. It will be like the NFL, whoever will pay the most for speed, strength and intelligence on both sides of the ball will have control for a couple years and then it shift over to someone else. I think we're done with college head coaches who stay for 15-20y.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDK, it seems to be paying off, possibly sporadic, but... Did you see them utterly steamroll Alabama?

The lack of money is going to have the same effect on attracting top coaches. I'm not talking coaching salary here, they can swing that. Lets get real, OU is the black hole of Oklahoma. They are going to keep sucking up the vast majority of the donor money in the state. T. Boone is gone, there just isn't that much in Stillwater to attract anybody on a scale that's needed. If we ditch the NIL and transfer portal old school tradition would return and they might stand a chance, but we all know that ain't going to happen. We are actually real time watching the demise of college sports play out.

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting aspects all around imo.

- OSU starts the season with a roster consisting of 3/4 of the roster new from last year

-OSU could have easily lost the first two games

- Game 3, two unranked teams, OSU loses miserably yet fan reaction is like they were ranked in the top 10 and got beat by a HS team

- Game 3, at no time in the last 30y has a two QB system worked, let alone a 3 QB system, not sure what Gundy is thinking there, who was at one time a legit QB who didn't party in college, he was 100% a student of the game even during down time between practices and games. Have a good friend who was, fortunately/unfortunately lol, a rb/fb behind Thurman and Barry and was there at the same time as Gundy.

- Game 4, talk is the players will walk after the game and as said above, who's going to want a bunch of losing team hoppers? If they were legit, a solid team would have already picked them up two years ago.

Craziness for sure.
I was there when Gundy was qb. He definitely partied.

Latest posts

Top Bottom