Copper heads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does rat shot work better in one caliber than another? I assume .22 would be the most discreet but in general does one work better than the other? Is rat shot as loud as a regular cartridge?

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does rat shot work better in one caliber than another? I assume .22 would be the most discreet but in general does one work better than the other? Is rat shot as loud as a regular cartridge?
I don't know if it is as loud as normal, but you still need hearing protection with most pistol calibers. I wear muffs with the rimfire also some people may not. The pistol caliber stuff seems to be a little larger shot size, and from my experience not ricochet as bad. The 22 stuff seems to always come back and bite me at ranges where the pattern is tight enough to get the job done. Hasn't ever broke skin but hurts. The plastic capsule (CCI) seems to not ricochet as bad as the crimped brass.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two Copperhead bites in my ER in the last month.

Anyone want to guess the billed cost of Cro Fab (Antivenom) per vial?
A bunch, but way less than the cost of a lengthly admission and reconstructive surgery to make a (kind of) functional hand out of a ballooned up, necrotic mess of black hand muck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
From a trusted hospital pharmacist...........hospital acquisition cost= $2149 per vial....dosing 4-6 vials x1, then repeat 2 vials up to 3 more doses until under control. That's not cheap, or patient cost!

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Killed one about two feet long in my yard two weekend ago. I haven't seen one in 15 years or so. east side Muskogee. tried to post pic from phone, still working on it.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make rat shot in popular pistol calibers too, if you're not wanting to step up to a shotgun.

Yeah I got some cci in 22.
Haven't had any problems
However, have been looking to replace my supply and am not having any luck finding any.
Like most 22 right now.
Anybody see any in the Plc area please pm me.
Thanks

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have alot of june bugs you likely have a few toads around. That might be your food source right there. I've only caught garter snakes in my yard and none this year. I've only seen one toad and that was in the spring so that's probably why I've not had snakes. Garter snakes are toad eating machines, and toads are bug eating machines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom