Daughter's AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I'm about to start an AR build for my daughter for a Christmas gift. She's 10 now and I think it should make a good gun for her to hunt either coyotes or deer with, plus soft enough shooting to take to the range with no problems. The only thing I have locked down so far is the barrel (should be ordering it tonight), another 277 Wolverine from Mark at Mad Dog Weapons Systems. It will be a 16" stainless threaded standard contour.

For any of yall that have put together an AR for a kid, any recommendations as far as parts go? I have actually been looking into side charging uppers today, thought maybe they would be easier to run vs the regular CH that sits under most scopes. Also had a guy say to stay away from the handguards with all the holes up and down them, lest her small fingers get hung up, which is sound advice probably. Any suggestions are welcome...unless you want to tell me that a kid doesn't need a gun or that she needs an AR10 to kill a deer ;)

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look at a light weight key mod, if you want a free float. They are thin and you can use covers if needed. If not, I would just go with a carbine forend. They fit small hands good. I have never had a side charger. I am kinda of a don't fix what isn't broke guy.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would start adding up the weight complete with scope and rounds, then see if she can hold it. I got my grandson a Remington 700 youth 243. He did not like holding the AR and the bolt moving was distracting to him.

As far as an AR goes, I would get a light weight trigger for her.
My grandson had a hard time pulling a stock 700 trigger. So, I replaced it with an adjustable Timney trigger, set to 3lbs. After I replaced the trigger he went from a 6 inch group to about 1.5 MOA. Also, I would get a low gas block instead of a standard A2 Front Sight Post.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-04-18-20-58-41.png
This is her shooting my 16" AR

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go with a 16" mid length gas setup. They shoot softer than carbine gas guns. I'd also go with a LW profile barrel (BCM makes some good ones) and a carbon fiber free float tube. That will shield heat and not snag on stuff in the brush. Go with a full auto bolt carrier (again, to reduce recoil) and a lightweight stock like the MOE or CTR.

I'd also second a good trigger. A mil-spec trigger is hard enough to make precision shots with under time constraints for an adult. Lastly, some good lightweight glass. Bushnell Elite or Leupold are my go to optics for hunting. Good luck!

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rail - may consider a Samson Evo 12.37, new Gen3 MI-12G3 MLOK, Faxon MLOK??. The new G3 MI is very slim and light.... CARBON FIBER - PRI, AP Custom, Lancer......
Muzzle Dev - Consider a YHM 5C2 for overall budget buy, or if you go Brake...... PA M4-72, JP Recoil, DPMS Miculek, RISE RA-701
Stock - whatever works best....MOE Fixed or CTR or ACS-L....,
Upper - MEGA, BCM, Noveske (If choosing billet, be very careful with the handguard selection)
BCG - RCA, BCM, Black Rifle Arms design, Colt, LMT, JP, ARP,
GB - lo pro STEEL melonite....
GT - melonite or Nitromet
Trigger - POF, something crisp and repeatable with decent weight, would Not suggest a "light" trigger....

CH - BCM Mod4 or Fortis Hammer?, could try Griffin SNATCH or Raptor...
Buffer - run an H1 or H2 or T2 Spikes with a Springco setup
Tube/Receiver Extension - POF or KAC or PWS, then BCM, Colt , Unless you want a Rifle length/A2.......

Just some thoughts..........

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Troy makes a super lightweight keymod handguard, which is good as you want as little weight up front as possible. I would DEFINITELY grab a lockable, adjustable gas block(seekins). This will let you limit the gas going rearward and send as much of the gas forward through a good quality muzzle device(pws) as you can. A wolff XP recoil spring would be nice as well, and this with the aforementioned gas block, and muzzle device will work together to substancially minimize felt recoil. I would really stay away from a reciprocating CH- moving in favor of extended latches, as even experienced users can get injured on them or get them hung up on gear or foliage. You are going to want a lightweight or adjustable trigger, as it will be more conducive of proper trigger control, as fingers jerking, shaking etc, will obviously open up her shot groups, making the sport less enjoyable for her (which is the biggest killer).
We would be more than happy to offer further advice on your build, or build the rifle for you entirely, as it sounds like our "pay as you build program" might be a perfect match for your timing needs on a custom weapon system. Please feel free to shoot a PM for further information.

Take Care,
Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom