DHS involvement in Child Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine divorce was 12 years ago, for the first 6 years I just gave her a check, then she got on Sooner Care which got everything screwed up. She got off Sooner Care in 2011 and I have been giving her checks every month since like we used to do.

If at all possible don't let it go thru DHS, even the EX hated it because they messed up the amounts and payments all the time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel ya. I never got a single solitary dime of child support even though I regularly informed DHS where he was and where he was working ... Not one. AND while I was on "the dole" DHS let my ex- take me to court in a state that neither me nor my kids had ever been in and get my child support REDUCED -- and notified me of the hearings AFTER THE FACT ... :grumble: Several years later, after I was up on my feet, DHS sent ME a letter telling me that they were gonna audit MY bank accounts because if I had received ANY money from my ex- I was gonna have to pay it back to them for the food stamps, AFDC, SoonerCare, etc. benefits I had received. :grumble:

I had the lawyer I was working for them at the time sign off on a nice little letter reminding them how they had mishandled my case back in the day ... Funny ... Haven't heard a peep from "Child Support Enforcement" in several years now ... Imagine that ...

Ha! :brick:

I like it!

my divorce was final a few months ago. I just write a personal check every month. My lawyer said only if the Ex wants DHS to handle it is when they do. IDK. so far Im just writing them.

It would behoove you to find out for certain that DHS would consider your payments. And I'd do it quietly too, if you catch my drift. The DHS child support enforcement system is just "whack" in every sense of the word.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt read all three pages, but in Oklahoma, DHS is not mandatory, but it is the option for the receiving parent to involve DHS whether you want them to or not, you dont have to be in arrears, all she has to do is make a phone call. I successfully got DHS out of my business last year. However, it took almost 2 years of legal battle to do.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife gets her child support from her ex though DHS. She told me she always has for the last 13 years. That POS is always opening and closing bank accounts every 6 months or so so hers is always screwed up. Plus he takes her back to court every couple of years to start ****. I wish I could let him trade his child support payments for one good ass kicking. I spend more money on his daughter and am more of a dad to her then he ever thought about being.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can write a check straight to the parent and DHS does not need to be involved, that is how my case is setup and was just done that way back in 2009. My case was originally in DHs hands (hated it, they were always making mistakes and would take more money than allowed and giving it to my kids mom, then would tell me sorry about the error but I had to get the money back not them) so when I took her back to court I told my atty to get the case out of DHS hands.

Been that way ever since, so yes you can not have DHS involved as long as the judge signs off on the order.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok good!
To me it's just seems like having DHS involved would be un needed outsiders in my business. Plus the hassle of it being government.
My lawyer warned that with not having DHS involved, if she didn't cash my checks she can turn around and say I never paid her. Doubt she would do that but....

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This push to make CS a mandatory payroll deduction has been around since the early 90s, along with the integration of CSEA across the country. I divorced in 93 in Ohio, and the D-1 deduction order went into effect that month. I too was told that any funds I had paid her by cash or check were considered gifts, not support.

I liked having it done that way, even though our CSEA caseworker was a man-hating shrew. I would have hated personally writing her a check every month and sending it to her. CSEA has the ability for force people to seek work to support their dependents, and that's not a bad thing. They also have the ability and resources to follow an obligee across state lines to secure ordered support. Isn't the government supposed to protect people from force & fraud?

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have ours all screwed up. Wife gets money through DHS from ex. It might go two months without a deposit then we will get a month with two or three deposits. Odd amounts too. One deposit might be about 15% of it then we might get one for 90%. We keep track of it and it pretty much evens out.. but it is weird. He says they take the same amount out of his check every pay period.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have ours all screwed up. Wife gets money through DHS from ex. It might go two months without a deposit then we will get a month with two or three deposits. Odd amounts too. One deposit might be about 15% of it then we might get one for 90%. We keep track of it and it pretty much evens out.. but it is weird. He says they take the same amount out of his check every pay period.

And ther , Miss BB is your ...rollover proof , hah its a scam...( sorry Danny... ;) )

Latest posts

Top Bottom