Did They have to Shoot The Gorilla?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree we probably should no longer have zoos. Is that ape better off here or in the zoo? It doesn't know any different, it gets food and water delivered each and every day. I don't believe the bold part to be true. When I watch a horse walk up to an empty feed bucket and stick his nose in it, I know what he wants. If I were to walk out to the corral with an empty dinner plate, and start licking it, that horse would NEVER know what I was doing, whether I was hungry or not. It doesn't know if it's been two hours or two weeks since I brushed it. It doesn't know that I drove out of the property in my truck, it doesn't know that it's a truck..........just that the object makes noise and moves. It doesn't ever wonder if I'm going to Atwoods to buy feed for it............... it can't. You could take every animal in existence and make the same comparisons. When we're out of sight, it doesn't know where we are. Can they be trained to do things WE want them to do, yes. Why do we know that some animals ARE dangerous, that some CAN be dangerous, and some are not? Because we can reason. NO animal has the same capacity to understand and reason like we do. If so, why do deer run away all year long, and not just during deer season? You'd think they'd figure out by now that they only need to run when it's cool/cold and the leaves fallen and grass is brown. It's really that simple........

There's so much ignorance in terms of zoology here I don't where to start. Applying human anecdotes concerning daily activities relays little about vertebrate awareness. Animals flourish outside of zoos, in several aspects of behavior, so believing it doesn't know any different just won't apply to certain species. In captive environments, several species, even those probably deemed as "stupid" won't breed due to stress. So they are aware enough to a degree in terms of their environment to not reproduce.

No not every vertebrate or even invertebrate has our level of cognitive abilities, but at the very least many are more, if not just as aware, of their surroundings and have the ability to figure the "difference."

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I stated they don't have the same capabilities as humans, never said animals don't flourish, or said that they're not capable of their awareness. YG is the one that said they have the same capabilities as humans. I disagreed and said they do not.

YG said " I fundamentally disagree with the notion that these non-human-animals have less capacity/processing for intelligence, reasoning, emotion, communication, etc. than human-animals (i.e., we) do."

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stated they don't have the same capabilities as humans, never said animals don't flourish, or said that they're not capable of their awareness. YG is the one that said they have the same capabilities as humans. I disagreed and said they do not.
"

Humans are animals.
The statement that animals do not have the same capabilities as humans doesn't make sense.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ If you're referring to my post, it was in response to GMThunder, thought I quoted his post but apparently didn't.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score

YG said " I fundamentally disagree with the notion that these non-human-animals have less capacity/processing for intelligence, reasoning, emotion, communication, etc. than human-animals (i.e., we) do."

This was in response to GMThunder.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You said an ape doesn't know any different if it's in a zoo or otherwise? In terms of capabilities, be it communication, emotion, etc.... several different species have shown aspects of these behaviors.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But don't these principles largely apply to those captured in the wild, rather than those born in captivity?

I realize that a wolf born in captivity is still a wolf, but newborns of any species are more adaptable than captured adults.

IIRC, the gorilla in question was raised in captivity.

Not necessarily, most vertebrates, suffice those that have been domesticated, don't flourish in captivity, relative to a natural environment.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
You said an ape doesn't know any different if it's in a zoo or otherwise? In terms of capabilities, be it communication, emotion, etc.... several different species have shown aspects of these behaviors.

But they (the captive animal) don't know why they're behaving differently, or even that they are behaving differently, correct? Killer whales in captivity, droopy dorsal, but not in the wild. A captive born killer whale doesn't know anything else, so I have a hard time believing it purposely has a limp dorsal because it's "pouting or sad".

Latest posts

Top Bottom