Diesel Cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the old school and not so old school things no longer apply. Fact is it's the EPA forcing the oils to be blended a certain way. The engine manufacturers are now being forced to go to lighter and lighter viscosity oils to meet CAFE standards. ZDDP is basically non existent compared to what it once was. This is because it makes you catalytic converter not last. And the .gov mandates a 5 year (I think) and 150,000 mile working life on it.

The only thing I can tell anyone is find out exactly what specification the manufacturer requires and make sure your oil is compliant with it. Then make sure it's a top tier brand. A couple of years ago they found some Castrol on the shelf that didn't meet the specs that were plastered on the side. How do you make sure it's top tier and remains compliant? Buy Amsoil, Mobil or a quality full synthetic based on Group IV base stocks that meets the manufacturer spec. Me? I've been using Amsoil for about 20 years now.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
loooooooong time ago i had a 220 and later a 240. yep om515 and 616 engines. keep a good battery and glow plugs and use 15w40 rotella or about any tractor oil in 15w40. remember to keep the air cleaner serviced.mine had an oil bath. sorry to say they are only good for about a gazillion miles.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I checked, the Federal emissions warranty, which covers the cats, was 8 years or 80,000 miles. It has been a few years since I last looked, so it could've changed.

The mileage you are correct on. I got it backwards in my mind. When they dropped the ZDDP levels it extended the life expectancy out to 150k miles. It had been a while for me too.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry, I've been away for a while. Yeah, I've enjoyed the 240D, but her tranny died. I tried to find a standard to change to, but went back to an automatic. Got a used one with an warranty installed for $900. Not too bad. I just wish the mechanic would call and tell me it's done!

Latest posts

Top Bottom