Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live near Mustang Road and Reno. Get both channels of 4,5, and 9. 4 channels of 13 (OETA/PBS) Multiple channels of 14 (Trinity Broadcasting) 25, 34, 43, 52. Several Spanish-language stations. Multiple channels of 61 ( iON Television).

All of this on a few feet of speaker wire as an antenna.

Hope this helps.

Allen

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking of doing this. We only have 2 TVs. Is there an indoor antenna (that works) that I can just hook up to the tv and still get the local digital hi def channels without having to have an antenna outside?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its just me at my cabin in northern California and in a little studio apartment in Des Moines so when I am at either place working totally everything I watch comes from my computer or handhelds via the wireless/internet- and I dont miss anything. The TVs I have there I usually just stream stuff into them but I have an antennae for local channel news.
Here at home though we do it all and it is very expensive but my wife is old school and wont let me get rid of any of it. The kids, like me, use their computers for most everything but the wife still wont let me cut the cable or landlines that she has had for over 20 years. Ive only been here for 10 years, cable has been here longer than me. She likes her cable channels and thinks she needs a landline for emergencies or whatever, no idea really. There are still landlines in her kids rooms and only one kid is still living at home. 3 different numbers. She works hard so I dont ever tell the woman what she can or cannot do especially what she spends her money on when she wants to relax, but damn it just doesnt make fiscal sense. And she sits in bed either working on work on a laptop or is on her notebook or phone while shes watching the TV anyways. We have 4 HD DVRs hooked up to 4 huge TVs in 4 different rooms, and nobody watching them but the wife back in her bedroom. Me and the kids are all on our computers. If I do sit and watch TV its for news or a movie which I probably will stream into the TV anyways. I watch very few of the cable channels and could for sure live without them. We have shown this woman how to do everything we do and how we can live without cable or phone but she is reluctant to give in. Yet. Still working on her.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my HDTV and a 10 dollar antenna from Wal Mart I get 40 channels. Now of those 40, about 1/3 to 1/2 are either religious, Spanish speaking, or both.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most times you cancel Cox for telephone and cable and keep internet they don't actually cut off all the cable. Most of the people I know that have "cut the cord" still get all the locals over the cable. That doesn't get you ESPN or much else, but most of the other stuff is crap anyway.

thats because most new tv's use the cable system as an actual antenna

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up an antenna and the Roku 3 box at lunch. I need to look at how my Cable runs are spliced in at the Cox box on the house. if I can get those free life will be a bit easier hooking up the antenna to the current coax runs. I really don't want to have to jack with running new lines to the two TV's in the house. Although if I do this I can seriously clean up the back of my house of all the coax runs that have been done over the years.

the cable lines on the house are YOUR lines, even if they run into the Cox box you as a customers are still allowed to access YOUR lines. just FYI

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking of doing this. We only have 2 TVs. Is there an indoor antenna (that works) that I can just hook up to the tv and still get the local digital hi def channels without having to have an antenna outside?

yes but most people say they are pretty crappy. its easy to run an antenna up into your attic, you still get great picture quality and its out of the elements

Latest posts

Top Bottom