do you guys clean your gun before matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2011 will take a lot of negligence as far as cleaning goes even with extremely light springs in the gun. The magazines are the only part that I clean religiously (any time they hit the dirt/sand). The rails & barrel get cleaned every 1500 rnds or so unless it's a big match, the extractor, firing pin & bottom end gets taken apart every 5-6,000.

My glocks will run the same without problem, but the light glock triggers will get to feeling nasty a lot sooner than the 2011 trigger does. I would take the bottom end of the glock apart about every time I cleaned the top end. The glocks will tolerate dirty mags a little better, but with the loose factory chambers & tolerances that is to be expected.

I try to give my guns a shot of oil on the barrel and rails before every time I hit the range. If the ammo is right (big if) and the mags are clean I don't ever anticipate any problems.

Edited to add:

I feel that there are two reasons to clean a gun.

Reason one is to keep it operating properly.
Reason two is to keep it from rusting/oxidizing.

My safe queens get cleaned and then covered in Eezox immediately after a range visit. My competition pistol (whatever I happen to be shooting at the time) doesn't get cleaned as often simply because I am handling it at least every other day. They don't seem to get any oxidation when they are being handled constantly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom