Doctors can really tick you off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a nightmare with waiting. My wife was having severe abdominal pain, so rather than calling an ambulance I drove her to the ER myself. Waiting 30 minutes for an ambulance when I can get her to the ER myself should make sense, right? Not in this fracked up monster big health and government have cooked up.

Got her to the ER and ended up in the waiting room with all the snifflersminor aches and pains and small cuts and they took 30 minutes to get her to triage and take her vitals, they told us that there are no spaces in the ER since they only put People in ambulances in the ER. They said to wait, all this time my wife is having more and more pain. After 20 minutes they called her in, put her on a cart then took her for a Cat Scan, which took another 20 minutes, then called me to go into the ER.

I was surprised to find her sitting in a chair outside an office, a nurse came and started an IV and gave her a shot of demerol, and sent her with the IV and no wheelchair back to the waiting room to wait for the Doctor. Every 1/2 hour I waited and calmly and politely asked when the Doctor would see her and when would she get a cart to lay down on in the ER, they said any minute after 1 1/2 I asked if we would be seen at all, the demerol was wearing off and she was starting to feel it. I asked them at that time if I could take her to another ER or if I could call an ambulance to another ER and they told me yes, but you will be signing out AMA (you do that and your insurance will not pay and you will be on the hook for the whole bill at non insurance costs.)

After 4 hours in the waiting room, 6 hours after getting there they finally got her in, on a cart and saw a nurse. Never saw the Doctor, but we were told the diagnosis was small bowel obstruction.

She was admitted, was seen regularly by Doctors after that. Fortunately for her no surgery was needed.

Why did we go to this ER? The other ER we went to prior was even worse. My wife had sepsis (we know the symptoms) and passed out while waiting to be triaged, I couldn't wake her. They told me that they would be with her when they could. I walked into the triage and told them she passed out, they told me she'd have to wait, I told them she needs to be seen by a doctor immediately or she will end up dead, I told them she will die and I will sue them, we know she is sick most likely sepsis. They asked me to step out again, I told them not until you see her (I was in no condition to carry her to a car and drive her 20 minutes to another hospital.) They came out to the chair, took her BP, and then stuff began to happen. Within 10 minutes a Doctor saw her, and had IV's started and within an hour or so they started IV antibiotics. 14 hours later she was sent to the ICU.

So, please do not tell me that waiting is no big deal. I worked in health care as an ER Secretary and ER Coordinator (a public relations type position.) If either of two scenarios played out in the ER I worked at, people would have been fired.

Large modern health facilities have become a joke. Bureaocracy over speed, ambulances first over who needs Healthcare first, the ambulance visits are where the money's at.

My advice, want to be seen fast, call and wait for an ambulance. Stay with your loved one, don't leave them in the ER alone.
I’ve seen too many ER Docs and RNs who’ve become burned out and jaded due to several factors: long hours under stress for years; patients who abuse the Emergency Medical System whom are often non/paying customers with the loudest demands that don’t belong in an ER, anyway; patients seeking drugs; repeat customers with drug overdoses; inebriated drivers brought in by police; on and on, with inadequate staffing and often inadequate facilities to handle the load. Incoming Chest Pain, Suspected Strokes and massive trauma, gunshot victims and internal hemorrhages are assed and receive immediate care, Then, there are patients without integrity or concern for others who feign critical symptoms to get seen first. Most ER Docs competent, not all, reflect the same high degree of dedication, professionalism and efficiency. However, I’ve seen more than one who waited for all of the rooms to be full before they’d start working. Delays at the onset add to delays for laboratory and radiology results. Mixed in, there are the real, critical cases. It is terrible situation for patients like your wife whom are forced to wait. In the old days, doctors, nurses an especially nurses who were Nuns, would give offenders a royal chewing, but not anymore. Administrations believe and act as if hospitals are businesses instead of life sustaining refuges in the war against death, disease, disfigurement and suffering. Staff that speak the raw truth are immediately dismissed, doctors included. Everyone in driven by fear of litigation instead of being free to speak honestly. The domain is so surrealistic that you’d have to live it to appreciate the magnitude of the never-ending comedic tragedy. Then, there are the shifts where almost nothing happens….

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I hate to hear of all these issues. Guess I'm lucky living in a smaller town, but it's VA care that I get. Dr. does both private and contracted to the VA. He's a gun owner, and hunter. I visited him a couple months ago with a bad pain in the back. No prescription. Said it would disappear with nothing more than over the counter pain meds, and it did. He described the location as the same muscle as the backstrap of a deer that was exactly where it was located which I'm very familiar with.
He is very much into the body is going to fix itself given time which has worked well. It involves me having some sustained minor pain for a while which is an inconvenience, but not using drugs is big with me.
I love the OKC VA. They are a little pill happy to fix things, but my local DR looks through that and veto's them at times. Change your diet. It will go away.
Wife and I have never had a major health issue that requires hospitalization but spent tons of times in those facilities when parents passed away.
Don't really give a crap what the DR gets on the side as long as we get the best health care.
Just in case some of y'all don't know, the business of conducting business with meals, trips, etc is not confined to the medical industry.
There isn't a business selling a product in the US that doesn't use that practice to sell their goods or services.
How many of you have had a post card in the mail inviting you to a free meal to listen to a salesperson pitch their product?
I was a purchasing agent at a big company for a couple of years. The offers I got to pull some sly crap was amazing from unscrupulous companies. They would offer to send tons of crap to the home in exchange for buying their product which was typically junk from the start or they wouldn't have to resort to those tactics.
Other reputable companies offered a free lunch on occasion which my company said was a 50/50.
You could accept the lunches or dinners, but 1/2 the time I paid for it so there was no concept of being beholden to them. It was called building relationships with the sellers, that most of the time resulted in discounts to buy their products. Management kept close tabs on all of that.
Do the DR's get kick backs? Maybe a tiny minority.
Are they offered by big pharma? Absolutely.
Just depends on the DR that wants to remain true to their ideals.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have lived in six cities in the last 54 years, and have had pretty much all the normal health issues, etc. neither of us have had complaints with any of the medical professionals we have used.

We have had some of the longer waits in the waiting rooms, and often have had the docs or nurses apologize for the wait, explaining some patients took longer than expected, etc.

I have a number of good friends that are doctors, etc. and have listened to some of their side of the situations some of you folks have experienced.

If I need medical assistance, I don’t mind inconvenience if the doc is a little busier that I had hoped.

And, like someone else mentioned, if you are worried about your time, make your appointments early in the day.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy to not wait in the er, just mention stroke or heart attack symptoms…
Really didn't matter, in our case. Worst ER's ever. Best ER we found was in Yukon, worst two OKC. However last time we went to Yukon was 4 years ago. I am totally convinced if one came into an ER self transport in OKC with a severed limb in an ice cooler the treatment my wife had would have been the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom