Finding tree stands on your property.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We found a feeder, nice boxed in stand, and camper when we first got our lease. We decided to just leave a note on the camper that we were taking over the lease and to to contact the land owner. Seems the owners brother gave him permission, no problem, he packed up and left.
Then a few weeks later I found a camera and bow stand in another area, told the owner who told his brother. I guess the brother was letting people go hunt there without the owner knowing. Everyone left quickly and with no problems.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be nice about it or go full hard ass about it, don't go between. We went full hard ass for a number of years and it is known that you don't go on our land. We lost a few cows during the rough period when we first bought the different parcels of land, we run about 600 head on four different places and it was a rough couple years each time we bought places to rid the hunters and to get it known that you don't hunt on our land.

So you have a option, be nice and hope the word gets out that your fair and will return, but I would add that when your tell the guys that come after their equipment you better tell them a second time will get trespassing charges and law involved.

Or the second option is go full bore and try to catch them, give em a whooping, bust up their equipment, tear up their vehicle etc etc. and time will go by the word will get out that your serious.

Looking back over how we did it, I wished we had tried the "being easy way" at first, but I have a brother and nephews that lives on the farm that just don't play well with others. Some of our property was leased to hunters before we bought it, that they had put allot of time and effort into them, and when we did not want to continue the lease, some of them thought they still had some rights, it was a tough lesson for them. Go easy as your doing for awhile. If the guy does come and get his equipment, tell him very stearn that this will be the last of not filing charges and giving stuff back and that your sick of it. It has been well over 15 years now, and we never find anyone trespassing, and I am sure it makes a huge difference if a guy lives on the land, as our family does. Open hunting land that a guy or family does not live on, is probably allot harder to keep secure. Good Luck.

Giving them a "whooping" is grounds for an Assault charge
Destroying their vehicle is not legal either. Your rights are limited to removal of the vehicle at the owners expense (towing) - why is the vehicle different from any other piece of equipment? because it's a registered asset and has legal ownership.

The rest of their crap - well, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Destroying their vehicle or assaulting them could lead to a hard lesson for the land owner. I'd tread very lightly here.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Giving them a "whooping" is grounds for an Assault charge
Destroying their vehicle is not legal either. Your rights are limited to removal of the vehicle at the owners expense (towing) - why is the vehicle different from any other piece of equipment? because it's a registered asset and has legal ownership.

The rest of their crap - well, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Destroying their vehicle or assaulting them could lead to a hard lesson for the land owner. I'd tread very lightly here.

Takes witnesses. No witnesses, no problems.

You have taken issue with my advice, it is how we dealt with it, everyone deals with issues differently. I am not going to spell it out, I was merely letting the guy know to either go hard or go nice. Things are dealt with out away from the big cities differently, even law enforcement looks at things a bit different. Trespassing is not taken lightly around our farm and our area. We took care of it many years ago in the way it was needed to be done, am I advocating the OP to take care of it the same way, no! Each person needs to do what they feel is necessary to remedy the situation. There are people out there that makes mistakes when hunting, there are people out there that do it intentionally and will keep on doing it until they are taught a valuable lesson and those lessons can be financially, loss of property etc etc and some have to learn it physically.

Latest posts

Top Bottom