Fixed blade knife choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayBo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I go to Mac town fairly often.....Might run into you sometime...Thanks...jay

heh. i've been through once or twice. had too much rum last time.
if you're ever around mcalester, i could show you a few esee's, so you could get a feel for the handles and such.

check out their forum. lots of good guys over there.

MadMonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Totally agree on the esee knives. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are family owned and used to be called OKC...that's right..OKC Ontario Knife Co. Then the son if I remember right he opened his own company...ESEE. They make the RAT models now I think...I have a RAT 5 which is a survival/defensive knife but made by OKC knives. The steel they use is excellent high carbon tough stuff but not so hard that you can't sharpen it if you're out in the woods without a good sharper or good stones. Be careful to not purchase a knife with a super steel that can't be sharpened without a diamond stone or some fancy setup. And be careful to not get a knife with a soft steel that dulls every time you cut rope. Never get a steel under 440C. And I don't even get steel harder than VG-10 anymore. I used to think the harder the steel the better because it will hold it's edge longer but wait until you're stranded out in the sticks someday and you actually have to sharpen your knife. It can take forever sometimes to sharpen some super steels with a small regular stone.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no, esee knives are designed by randall's adventure training. they're built by rowen manufacturing now.
they used to work with ontario, but had some issues, and wanted more quality control, and a closer relationship with the end user. ontario still builds those designs, under the name RAT.

http://eseeknives.com/history.htm

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love my ESEE 4! I got it a few months ago for my first fixed blade knife.

I need to learn how to sharpen better though. Is there anywhere in Oklahoma that has knife sharpening classes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom