fixed vs Variable Scope for my Squirrel Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm needing to put a Scope on my Savage MII .22 rifle to hunt mainly squirrels and smaller game. I wouldn't expect to shoot farther than 50yards and so am thinking of a fixed sight type of scope and not a variable.

I would be interested in your experience with a scope in this type of situation. Fixed vs Variable?

Also, I'm interested in scope brands as well as who does an excellent job in the OKC Metro of mounting as well as what I should expect to pay..

thanks

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With 50 yard goal - pretty much anything will work - honestly cheapest of the cheap will do the job. The trick is to mount the scope sort of "high" - 2" above bore center line, this way you have point blank at 50, and every thing else (closer or further) below sight line. For varmint hunting it works out great with minimal range guessing - aim top of the head - DRT.

If you want to hunt past 100 - the setup would be a bit different, still mount high, but zero at 75 yards and I would recommend 16-20x magnification and reticle with hashes/dots.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually go with variable focus scopes for any shooting over 50 feet because you can buy a decent one cheap. For your .22 rifle... if you have good eyesight ....you probably only need a scope like a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x32 @ $31.37.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-Pronghorn-3-9-x-32-Scope-Matte/5684956

My pump-up .177 pellet rifle for up close shots has a $30 Bushnell .22 fixed focus scope which works just fine for squirrels, doves & scaring off stray dogs / cats.

If I hunt with my rim fire or center fire rifles, it will be here in Oklahoma where my shots will be under 150 yds... so I don't need expensive scopes. I went with $70 Centerpoint scopes from Walmart for my rifles. They are accurite, have a lifetime warranty, lighted red & green reticles and all the variable magnification I need.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Illuminated-4-16x40mm-Scope/17173797

My AR has a NcStar MIII sniper scope that does very well out to 300 yrds.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the input...

In all honesty, I don't know where to start with a scope for my Savage MII in 22LR. I've just started to read up on the subject as I definitely am going to put one on this shooter.

I would definitely consider a centerpoint scope as you mentioned, but am needing suggestions of who can reasonably drill N tap my rifle.

When I say 'thanks' , I mean it. I'm learning and thats a good starting point..

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've hunted with fixed and I've hunted with variables. FWIW, you can take anything out to 50 with a 4X just fine. But, where the variable comes in handy is identifying what you think might be a portion of a squirrel but just aren't sure. When you dial it up to 9X or so, it's a lot easier to confirm or disprove that notion.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fixed 6x on my squirrel rifle. I used the same scope on a deer rifle. I had Leupold set the parallax to 50' and install a dot reticle. Shoot em in the ear.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short ranges like you describe call for a low power scope. Low power equals wider field of view and quicker on target. I would consider a 4x fixed scope.

Lots of African game is taken at short range, and professional hunters want you to have open sights or very low power scopes, although you aren't likely to be charged by a squirrel . . .

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks Bass

A fixed scope may be the ticket for me. Maybe less expensive as well..

I'm still hoping for a few suggestions as to who is competent in tap / drill my little rifle

thanks for all the input..

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't Need a Drill N Tap for this 22. It has the slide built into the receiver..

..Shows what I know about Scopes and Modern Rifles.

I dropped by Academy Sports and toyed with a Bushnell Fixed 4 by 32. I think I'm going to go with a fixed sight scope and possibly this very one. Looks like I will also need a set of rings for mounting as well..

Time to read up on installation and sighting in procedures I suppose ..

thanks for all the suggestions and help..

Latest posts

Top Bottom