Flag Pole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found the expensive flags don't last much longer than the cheaper flags. I just pick up a few when they go on sale at HF. Also, you can drop your ragged flags off at most VFWs to have it properly retired.

I prefer to retire them myself.

Whenever mine has lived it's life to the fullest, we usually schedule a retirement service around some sort of "special occasion" or holiday, birthday, etc.

We invite a host of friends and family,
build a big fire in the pit, roast some dogs, brats, smores and then, after everybody is finished eating, I say a word of prayer and talk about how important my flag and my country is to me.

I then give everybody an opportunity to say what's on their hearts and minds about America and what's important to them.

After everyone who wants to is finished, we say the pledge of allegiance to ol' Glory, and lower her, PROPERLY FOLDED into the fire as Taps is played on my phone.

It's a very humble and somber ceremony and one I look forward every time the duty arises. It's best on one of my grandson's birthdays, because they always invite classmates and that is probably the only time in their young lives, where they can be educated on proper flag etiquette and how important it is to us Americans.

I always tell them before they leave to tell their parents/guardians at home precisely what was done. Don't just go home and say, yeah, we burned a flag. :slap:

Anybody can do this guys. It's not rocket science and it's not blasphemous nor unpatriotic. I researched it high and low before I performed my first one (I've done three so far) and nowhere did it give any specific rules or regs. Just be a loving, caring American and teach others. :patriot:

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My HOA officers (who insanely have three different and conflicting sets of covenants) take a dim view of stand-alone flagpoles, yet they readily accept poles that are attached directly to the house (at a 45-degree angle) like mine. Go figure.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My HOA officers (who insanely have three different and conflicting sets of covenants) take a dim view of stand-alone flagpoles, yet they readily accept poles that are attached directly to the house (at a 45-degree angle) like mine. Go figure.
Of course, U.S. Flags should only be displayed on poles that are precisely set to a 45 degree angle. This should not only include poles that extended from the outer walls of homes and buildings, but to those which are set in the ground. Any deviation from this precise angle (even by 1/2 degree) is disturbing to those with dementia, schizophrenia, ignorance and intractable hubris!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course, U.S. Flags should only be displayed on poles that are precisely set to a 45 degree angle. This should not only include poles that extended from the outer walls of homes and buildings, but to those which are set in the ground. Any deviation from this precise angle (even by 1/2 degree) is disturbing to those with dementia, schizophrenia, ignorance and intractable hubris!

Yeah...HOA officers. That's what he said...

I would not do well in a Nazi HOA controlled neighborhood.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer to retire them myself.

Whenever mine has lived it's life to the fullest, we usually schedule a retirement service around some sort of "special occasion" or holiday, birthday, etc.

We invite a host of friends and family,
build a big fire in the pit, roast some dogs, brats, smores and then, after everybody is finished eating, I say a word of prayer and talk about how important my flag and my country is to me.

I then give everybody an opportunity to say what's on their hearts and minds about America and what's important to them.

After everyone who wants to is finished, we say the pledge of allegiance to ol' Glory, and lower her, PROPERLY FOLDED into the fire as Taps is played on my phone.

It's a very humble and somber ceremony and one I look forward every time the duty arises. It's best on one of my grandson's birthdays, because they always invite classmates and that is probably the only time in their young lives, where they can be educated on proper flag etiquette and how important it is to us Americans.

I always tell them before they leave to tell their parents/guardians at home precisely what was done. Don't just go home and say, yeah, we burned a flag. :slap:

Anybody can do this guys. It's not rocket science and it's not blasphemous nor unpatriotic. I researched it high and low before I performed my first one (I've done three so far) and nowhere did it give any specific rules or regs. Just be a loving, caring American and teach others. :patriot:
I never can find that D*mn "100 like" button!!!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...HOA officers. That's what he said...

I would not do well in a Nazi HOA controlled neighborhood.

No, me neither. I like living out in the sticks.

1676946196722.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom