Gun Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State Farm won't be competitive with either Historic Firearms or collectinsure.com.

Historic has the lowest rates, collectinsure doesn't have the minimum premium amount like Historic. So somewhere around $20-25k in coverage, Historic with their $35k policy will become the better deal. If you just want to insure around $15-20k, collectinsure will be cheaper. Collectinsure may have a lower dollar amount before scheduling like $5k. I know Historic is $10k before scheduling. Collectinsure also has a safe requirement of 300lbs empty and dial/digital lock only (no key locks).

My safe is an ArmorVault, so it's keyed, but according the guy that makes them he's never had one of his safes defeated, even by the Po-Po. It's his story, I'm just repeating what I was told. Mine's never been tried, so take it for what it's worth. My only complaint with it is; it's no longer big enough.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless Collectinsure changed their policy recently, they sell insurance w/o the safe requirement. I think the premium is a little higher without a safe.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I call BS on your regular rates increasing just because you have a firearms rider. I've had my guns on a rider for better part of a decade and my policy has never went up outside the norm of everyone else's policy.

My rider covers anything we have on it for guns and such that are more in value than what the basic coverage on the home policy covers.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have State Farm renters insurance currently and my NRA life member policy. Does anyone know if State Farm will cover firearms? I have no idea. And is there something I need to do with the nra about my arms care coverage? I mean do I have to give them info on my guns? I have always thought that once I joined I was auto enrolled and didn't have to give them any information. But I know I may be wrong. I am not much on reading things. Stupid I know.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have State Farm renters insurance currently and my NRA life member policy. Does anyone know if State Farm will cover firearms? I have no idea. And is there something I need to do with the nra about my arms care coverage? I mean do I have to give them info on my guns? I have always thought that once I joined I was auto enrolled and didn't have to give them any information. But I know I may be wrong. I am not much on reading things. Stupid I know.
I believe the NRA Armscare has to be activated. Then it offers a small amount of coverage. It's not much because it's free.

Your SF renter's policy will cover firearms but you need to ask your agent how much per gun and how much total per loss. Without a rider, it will be a low amount. I'm not sure if they do firearms riders on rental policies. Then you also need to ask what your deductible is. If you have a $2500 max per loss but $1000 per gun max and a $1000 deductible, then you'll need to lose a couple of guns to get anything.

SF can also sell you a Personal Articles Policy for firearms only but they will schedule guns on that policy and it's around $1.75-$2 per $100 in coverage. That's about 5x more expensive than the other companies listed earlier in this thread.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info. I activated the arms care when I joined. I will have to call my agent on Monday and see what they will cover up to. I know my deductible is $500.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the NRA Armscare has to be activated. Then it offers a small amount of coverage. It's not much because it's free.

Your SF renter's policy will cover firearms but you need to ask your agent how much per gun and how much total per loss. Without a rider, it will be a low amount. I'm not sure if they do firearms riders on rental policies. Then you also need to ask what your deductible is. If you have a $2500 max per loss but $1000 per gun max and a $1000 deductible, then you'll need to lose a couple of guns to get anything.

SF can also sell you a Personal Articles Policy for firearms only but they will schedule guns on that policy and it's around $1.75-$2 per $100 in coverage. That's about 5x more expensive than the other companies listed earlier in this thread.

My HO's policy is already in effect. the max per gun is $2500 with a $5000 max without a rider.

SF will insure anything or any amount, but they want a listing (not SN's) with 3 things. Date of acquisition, purchase price, current value. The overall policy is based on the total value of the firearms, with each firearm covered for it's replacement value, if you so choose. I forgot the rate per $10k, but I haven't got my list valued yet. She indicated it wasn't all that expensive.

My current policy won't increase a single cent because I own firearms or add the rider. So, yeah, if your insurance guy tells you owning firearms will raise your rates, he's either lying, or you need to find a different insurance guy, because his underwriter is a left wing douche bag.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do most carriers require a safe to cover firearms on a rider?
Homeowner's insurance companies, no. A safe isn't required until you get into the higher end specialty policies with much larger dollar amounts. In fact, I'm not even sure my policy requires a safe. The question is asked on the application, but so it if you have an alarm and how many feet you are from a fire hydrant. I'm not sure if not having a safe is a disqualifier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom