High School Punishes Student for Doing the Right Thing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...hes-honors-student-for-doing-the-right-thing/

When Erin Cox, a high school honors student and captain of her volleyball team, got a phone call from a friend in trouble, she didn’t hesitate.

Her friend was drunk at a party earlier this month and asked Cox to take her home. Cox agreed, and went to pick up her friend.

But moments after Cox got there, police arrived at the party as well. They busted several kids for underage possession of alcohol and warned others — including Cox — that they would be summoned to court for drinking, the Herald reported.

Even though Cox wasn’t drinking and wasn’t in possession of alcohol — and despite a police officer vouching for her sobriety in writing — that wasn’t good enough for North Andover High School.

Officials there told Cox that she violated the district’s zero-tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use, Boston’s WBZ-TV reported. So the 17-year-old senior was demoted from her captain’s position on the volleyball team and suspended for five games.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” attorney Wendy Murphy, who is trying to help the Cox family get the school’s decision reversed, told WBZ.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And she may have saved her friend's life, as well as the life/lives of others on the road. Way to back up the "if you drink, don't drive" rhetoric. Sounds like a good kid, and one that's a whole lot smarter than the administration there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom