how about you favorite long range rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably my .338 Edge. It has an A-5 stock, Broughton barrel, Jewell trigger, Nightforce scope.....
My .280 Ack. Imp. and my .308 Win are sweet too. Then again there's my Sako TRG-S 300WM or my Tikka T-3 .243.....
7mm RM from longshotrifles in process. :woohoo1:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's currently not in the "new, hot rounds", but my Favorite is the 30-06. In its day, and way after its day it has won the 1000 yd matches at Camp Perry National Matches with open sights.

Years ago(1980) I started hunting with the 742 Rem BDL in 06 as my first centerfire, since coming out of the Army, I thought that was the way to go. Quickly found out that at 100 yds that gun only got 4" groups or worse.

Tried reloading to get better, and couldn't do it. Sold the gun a few years later, but at that same time the Browning Stainless Stalker came out. Got a heck of a deal on it. Stainless with a synthetic stock, for $400.

At the time a buddy had a farm that we could practice at 400 yds and I
picked up a Chronograph. This is the best thing you can get if your interested in long range shooting. Now they can be bought for $100 or less.

If you know your velocity, and If you know the ballistics coefficient, and know how the wind can affect the bullet path, you can get into the ballpark of long range shooting.

Note that I said ballpark.

Those that shoot 1K matches have to take into consideration the humidity, temps and the corialis effect. They will load one round at a time on the firing line using those variables.

At "just 1k yds" the corialis effect(rotation of the earth vs time the trigger is pulled vs time the bullet hits the target) is miniscule, but never the less is a factor.

All that being said, I reload and practiced at 400yds, I measured out the distance with a 100' tape measure(range finders were not invented at that time) to the back fence of the property I was hunting on at that time,(all wheat field) where the deer crossed. The 06 with a 165 gr Sierra HP game king took a nice buck at 525 yds. I used the load data from the Sierra manual to get the ballistics data for that distance. I put that data on the buttstock of the rifle and covered it with clear tape. 18 years later, I still use that load, and that rifle, and the data is still taped to the buttstock. I'll post of pic of it if anybody wants to see.

Several others were taken in the 400+ yd range. The whole deal is, almost any rifle can do the job at those ranges, but it takes hundreds of rounds at long range to know how the wind, BC and all the other factors come into play.
Shoot, the ranges I call long, are a chip shot for some our our finest snipers protecting our liberties, and they are using a .308. My hat is off to them:D

I haven't followed the 1000 yd match results a whole lot in the last two years, but I have noticed that the AR platform won the 1K match last year, and a new world record for 1K yds in the .50 cal was set at 1.9".

Thats better than some of my rifles will do at 100 yds......its a science.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not really into long range shooting, but my Remington 700DXLH will do what I need her to do in 30-06. For a fun gun at range is my Walther KKJ sporter. At 100yds she will hold 1MOA or better depending on wind across the range. I also like to shoot playing cards with my 1903A3SC at 100yds with nothing more than her iron sights, and using nothing more than her sling as support.

Latest posts

Top Bottom