How fast is too fast in neighborhood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honest question here. I have a family in the neighborhood who lets their kids play in the street ALL THE TIME (they are out front daily)...and they are on the main entrance to the neighborhood. Speed limit is 25 and I always slow way down when they (or anyone else) is out. I've been yelled at by them twice now to "SLOW DOWN!!!" because apparently they own the place.
Now, I see a sign out front that says "Drive like your kids live here". I really think it should say "Parent like your kids live here" and maybe dont have them in the street all the time.
I understand kids like to have a place to play, I too was once one of those kids. I was also taught to get out of the street when you see a car coming...not waiting until the last second to do so. I also did most of my playing in the yard...only in the street when needed and necessary (roller hockey in a cove or dead end, etc). How slow am I supposed to go to satisfy these people?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you aren't going over 25, I'd say they can go eat a bag o' sausages. I try and drive 20-25, its when I see people driving 30-35 by the time they pass my house (6th house down) that I have a problem. Almost wrecks daily because people take the turn wide, or take the inside of the corner when going left because they are going to fast.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
In your Magnum?

If so, that just looks fast and irresponsible. You probably run over kids for fun in that, so it doesn't matter what speed!

I get glares in neighborhoods too; I also drive a V8 sedan that sounds like a V8. But yet I frequently have minivan moms crawling up my bumper because I stop at signs (well nearly) and only go 25.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, this was in the Magnum and while I thought about the "looks faster than it is going" theory...the first time it was actually my buddy driving his 3 cylinder 1986 Chevy Sprint as we headed back from the range.

I think these people are just a-holes.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How 'slow' is pretty subjective. I would say that the speed you should drive should be whatever the conditions call for at the time, as long as it's at or below the posted speed limit ( i.e. slower when kids are out or it's icy).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For reference, when I got yelled at last time I was doing 14 in that 25 mph zone.

In that case the correct response is to lay on your horn from the time you approach their property line till the time you pass it. That way their little street urchins will be on notice to get the hell out of the damn road!

I also approve of posting a sign facing towards their house that reads "Parent like your kids live on YOUR property and not in the middle of OUR street!". :)

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you about your sign, Parent like your kids live here.There are 19 kids between 1year and 8 years old on my block.They constantly play in the street and I seldom see a parent watching them even when the 1 year old is outside.They rely on the older children to watch them.The cops wife drives faster than anyone in the neighborhood.The next time I move it will be to an over 55 housing addition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom