How fast is too fast in neighborhood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of these comments have the "because I can" feel to them. If kids, dogs, cows or ugly women are in the street, you are not going to have a significant change in your life if you slow WAY down until you are past them. However, hit one and your life will never be the same again.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure part of living in a neighborhood is kids play and riding bikes in the street. Personally, I realize that as an adult it is my responsibility to insure kids live in a safe environment, which might mean I need to slow down below the posted limit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So glad to be out of a neighborhood.

That being said it sounds like the OP is being cautious and the parents in question are just being parents. Nobody has to be wrong here. I'd keep doing what I'm doing with a smile and a wave.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_rEvhrlt.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg
I suggest a new paint job

It needs half of a skull stuck in the grill and some hair flapping in the breeze on the side mirrors and a tibia crammed into the spokes on one of the wheels.

Yeah, that would about do it.

Woody

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live on a fairly busy street and my 2yr old is being taught that the street is for cars and we do not go out in the street without mom or dad, not even to check the mailbox. We play in the frontyard just fine. She is too young to watch for cars so she doesn't go past the sidewalk. As for your neighbors, screw them, get out and punk those bitches, ask them what they expect. Streets are for cars and the kids need to get out of the way. Same as they would if they were playing on train tracks and a train was coming.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kids need to be aware, drivers need to be aware. Getting yelled at for going 14 is ridiculous. However, in my neighborhood I have teenagers plowing through at a good speed while their phone is in front of their face. It's only a matter of time IMO.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've found it interesting that when I drive by going 20-25 in my "sporty" car with exhaust rumble I get glares. Some mom with a phone to her face in a massive SUV going 30 is apparently just fine.

And I absolutely slow way down around kids. I'll drive on the wrong side of the road too if I can. Like Annie mentioned, last thing I want to do is run over a kid, even if they flat ran in front of me.

As to stopping distance, I like to test my brakes every once in a while (steering too); and I think more people should do that every so often. You should know how far it takes your car to stop. Not lazily approaching a stop sign, but OMG I GOTTA STOP NOW! from various speeds.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you should slam it down to a stop and holler at them to get the kids back a safe distance. Put the ball back in their court. Or use a loud speaker announcing your approach. 14 mph! Looking left, looking down the road, looking right. 3 little heathens on the right! 14 mph! Watching the heathens on the right closely, looking down the road, and to the left! Checking my mirrors to make sure I am not overcome by a bike rider. 14 mph! Heathens on the right!

Latest posts

Top Bottom