How fast is too fast in neighborhood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_rEvhrlt.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg
I suggest a new paint job

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you should drive slow enough the you could safely stop if one of the urchins ran into you path. And it sounds like you're already doing it!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off check your city ordances most have one that its against city ordance to play in the street.
Second there should be a city sign posting children at play at both ends of the street if there isnt one a simple phone call to your public works administer should get it posted.
Third if you are doing the posted speed limit nothing that anyone can do ( not saying a slower speed is deem necessary when kids are in the area)
Fourth Parents should take the responsiblity of teaching their kids to stay out of the streets ( but we all know most parents dont want the responsibility of raising kids these days to follow the law)

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I had this same problem in the neighborhood i'm in. The snoots that built in front of the park decided they were going to paint 15 mph on the streets in front of the park because that's what they felt the speed should be. I kindly had to call the county after repeatedly telling them they couldn't do that. The county made them remove it because the roads are the property of the county, not the residents.

Then the snoots decided they were going to buy those big yellow cones that have the little kid on the top and say something like "kids at play" and proceed to place them in the street when their spawns were playing in the road or running back and forth from the park or pool. I told them numerous times they couldn't do that either, so after another call to the county, the deputies had to kindly explain what the fine for "impeding the flow of traffic" was and told them they had to remove the cones. LOL

I grew up playing in the streets because that's what we did. But we also moved the hell out of the way when we seen cars coming. And if we were stupid enough to not move and got hit or the driver stopped and told our parents what we did, we knew damn good and well we would be picking our switch off the tree. :(

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You live in my neighborhood?!?!?!?! I have a similar problem around here. However, I have been the one to yell at people to "SLOW DOWN" when the wife and I are out walking the dog and nearly get run over. It has happened several times that motorists, usually making corners or curves, come 'flying' past us and miss us by about a foot. I have also gone outside and taken a 2-year-old by the hand and taken him home. When the mother finally answered the door, her eyes got as big as saucers and she exclaimed, "Where's __________!" (the big brother, who is not old enough himself to be watching a 2-year-old). I've got a teenager just down the street who I think likes to see how fast he can make that Mustang go before he gets to the first curve. And, we've got Moms who drive with their foot on the floor and the phone in their ear. I just hold my breath, hoping we don't get a kid hit by a car.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We played in the street game on game off as cars came and we moved the nets. It's a right of passage in Canada in the winter

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in college one of my classmates was driving through a school zone (the speed limit was 25). She was doing the speed limit. A 6-year-old bolted out from between 2 parked cars and my classmate hit and killed him. He died in her arms. She committed suicide a year later, on the anniversary of that accident.

When I see kids (and I don't care how far up in the yard they are, or if there are a bazillion grown-ups with them) I slow to a crawl. Plenty of people lay on their horns at me. I could give a ****. Every time I see kids in the street, or playing in yards, I think of my classmate and that little boy.

Far as I am concerned 25 is about 20 mph too fast.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you about your sign, Parent like your kids live here.There are 19 kids between 1year and 8 years old on my block.They constantly play in the street and I seldom see a parent watching them even when the 1 year old is outside.They rely on the older children to watch them.The cops wife drives faster than anyone in the neighborhood.The next time I move it will be to an over 55 housing addition.

That woman and I would be having a Come to Jesus meeting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom