How to cancel your NRA membership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's good to see I'm not the only one who's resisted the NRA's attempts to bring me into their fold. In the past I've been castigated a few times for not "supporting the only group fighting for your gun rights"... glad to see others feel the same as I do.

I see the NRA as the Norton Anti-Virus of the lobbying world - bloatware. They're not as bad as the Red Cross, but they sure do spend spend spend. Then when you ask for their help like Oklahoma did for OC a few years ago, we weren't on their list of priorities.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I joined the NRA way back when I was 14. Paid my dues with money I had saved up mowing yards. Several years ago, there was a push in Oklahoma for Open Carry. The ORA was out against it, and I tried to get the NRA to slap their hand and come out in support of it. I was told that the NRA wasn't interested one way or the other about open carry in Oklahoma. It simply wasn't a big enough issue for them to deal with. At that moment, I decided I was done financially supporting an organization that didn't support me.

Once my membership expired, I got the letters for a bit, then I got a phone call. I explained to the caller my reason for dropping my membership, and that unless the NRA starts supporting every pro gun measure and coming out against every one that would harm our rights, they would never see another dime from me. I haven't been bothered by them since.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Rifle & Pistol Club requires membership in the NRA,,,
Some thing about "insurance" is a factor.

Not to say I wouldn't be a member anyways,,,
But if I want to be able to shoot,,,
Not renewing isn't an option.

I'm no fan of many of the NRA's stances and decisions,,,
But they are one of only two groups I see making any difference out there.

Aarond

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. The NRA does a lot of good besides lobbying on gun rights issues. They provide a lot of grant money to the shooting sports and education of new shooters. For example, at OKC Gun Club there is an event called Women on Target where 400 or 500 women spend the day learning to shoot pistols, rifles, and shotguns. I've heard that all of the ammunition is provided by the NRA. I think the NRA also supports youth shooting sports at the OKC Gun Club as well.

I certainly think OK2A does the best job of supporting our gun rights in OK and they should be fervently supported for their efforts. But, I also believe the NRA needs equal support for the contributions they make to the shooting community.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Further support for NRA membership... It's doubtful any of you fully agree with every principle of other groups you support. Heck, I don't even like some of my family members some on the time. So it's not a surprise to me that you don't agree with some things the NRA does/doesn't do. I don't like the idea of our new friends house bill situation in Virginia at all, and I don't like hearing that the NRA thinks very little about some issues in OK, past or present. But I do believe that membership in the NRA makes you a number. And that means you can and is counted as part of a giant lobby group. For $25 per year (if you sign up on Jim Scoutins web site) you will be counted and used at the national level concerning the 2A.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly think OK2A does the best job of supporting our gun rights in OK and they should be fervently supported for their efforts. But, I also believe the NRA needs equal support for the contributions they make to the shooting community.[/QUOTE]

100% agree

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we're already numbers, there are at least as many legal guns as people in the u.s, on top of unknown number of home builds, heirlooms, and illegally owned firearms. billions of rounds of ammo to go with them. the NRA does some good, as far as safety education, but their founding and legislative activism are not in the cause of liberty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom