How to fatten a dog up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dog is around 4 or 5 so he is mature. Both dogs are on purina pro plan just switched them. They were on neutro but it upset one of their stomachs, then went to blue buffalo now they are happy on this. The vet I take them too is out in Edmond and she's really good so I trust her. She's got 6 corgis of her own so I think he's in good hands.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked at the paper work and he was right at 18 lbs so target is 25-30 lbs the 5-10 range is with in reason. I'm not trying to ballon him over night just progressively do it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My GSD is so thin you can count his ribs, literally. Hump66 can back me up on this.

He eats like a horse, plays like a whole daycare full of kids, and sleeps like the dead.

Sooner is right (not that she went to school for that or anything :P). He's healthy, he's happy, he's fine. All dogs should have it so good! :)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EDIT: Now that I've seen the other pic - please don't try to put 10 pounds on that dog - oh please. You've got yourself a healthy, active dog. Why would you want to screw that up! Americans are known to be portly, too, but we don't typically encourage healthy ones to get fat!
You're the pro, but that dog looks kind of scrawny to me, almost like a spayed *****.

OK, so I really have nothing to add, I just wanted to use "*****" properly for once...

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'M NOT a vet......... but He looks healthy to me...but i can't FEEL him from the pics to see first hand how much ribs are protruding, etc. I don't know a thing about corgi's but i've had a lot of terrier breeds as well as large breeds.

For putting a little more weight on him in a slow manner, when you trim the fat off meat, give it to him. Give him a couple of eggs every once in a while, mix some canned food that his digestive system handles well in with some dry food every once in wa while. (Science diet is highly digestable) also ground beef works good too as if you get the cheap stuff that's higher in fat.

I'd only ADD to his diet a little at a time. If you try to make it a constant, before you know it he'll be a fatball. He doesn't look like he's in danger of falling over anytime soon... : ) Do it SLOWLY so his system can adjust to it and so he won't gain too much too quick. Adding weight to an otherwise healthy dog most times ends up like it gains 40 pounds overnight one night.....then you have to cut them back and that's a bad cycle.

Weigh him every other day...keep track of the EXTRAS in his diet and his weight. Then once you reach his desired weight taper off to where he's just maintaining it.

But all in all, i personally think that if he's healthy and happy, leave him alone...LOL. He'll gain weight when he gets older and less active.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our 65# Sabra eats more per day than her 95# brother CB. She's just more active and stays skinny. She has ribs, but no other bones in her body.

1456087_10101598756221682_1886110031_n.jpg

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooner is right (not that she went to school for that or anything :P). He's healthy, he's happy, he's fine. All dogs should have it so good! :)

I know, right?

I think I'm gonna bow out of this discussion before my head explodes.

But please, for the love of God and your dog's pancreas - don't give him bacon grease or fat trimmings.
*drops mic, exits stage left*

Latest posts

Top Bottom