I Am Thinking Of Cutting Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did it a couple of years ago. I use the Apple TV in conjunction with a digital antenna. With Hulu & Netflix.....and YouTube, I miss absolutely nothing from the cable years. Glad I did it!

Best of luck in your decision!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We haven't had cable or Dish or DirecTV or anything like that for, probably, five to ten years now. Just replaced our antenna, which is attached to a mount on the chimney. Spent $38+change for a 150-mile VHF/UHF antenna with booster/amplifier and get 41 channels at the moment. I thought about going back to cable or Dish or DirecTV, but then I considered all the money I'm saving every month. AND, I heard my son's horror story about recently going back to cable, and what it cost him to get their "special offer" of $29.95 a month or whatever. I'm surprised they didn't charge him for the ink in their pens and the air in their tires. I'm doing quite fine, thank you!

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We cut over a year ago, and have been very happy with it. We have the Amazon Firestick and Netflix, and have added a couple of no charge services. I miss a few games, etc. but not enough to change back.

#CUTTHECABLE

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The better half and I have internet service , which gives us Netflix, the smart TV which we got last year makes you tube available, plus the antenna, that gives us /her all the programming needed..

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut the satellite/cable crap in 2009. We have used the Digital Antenna, Apple TV and a Roku to watch just about anything we want. I don't see us ever oin back to the cable/satellite junk.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cut cable a few years ago, went to a $40 powered directional antenna. Could pick up channels out of OKC, Amarillo, and occassionally Dallas on clear cool days depending on which way it was pointed. Wasn't planning on going back until work we got it free through work. As soon as that deal ends, back to antennas for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have one of these 150 mile antennas on our RV to replace the junk antenna on it and I have another in my shop TV to pick up Air channels. In Ponca we are 100 miles from Tulsa, OKC and Wichita Ks, so I pick up channels from all...for free.
Direct TV in the home. Wife won't have anything else. TV junkie.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I have to have is internet. I do too much online to not. Beyond that I could care less. Honestly wouldn't even have a phone but it is still something that most people expect. Have not had cable for a few years and the only sport I like to watch is hockey and found an app for that too, watched every game of the Stanley Cup last year. Still waiting for someone to take me up on an offer to setup a media server like I have though. Saw a deal about a lighthouse out in the middle of the ocean where people are stationed for extended periods and thought to myself, "Take my Plex along and I would be all set. Just have them ship out food and other necessities."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have one of these 150 mile antennas on our RV to replace the junk antenna on it and I have another in my shop TV to pick up Air channels. In Ponca we are 100 miles from Tulsa, OKC and Wichita Ks, so I pick up channels from all...for free.
Direct TV in the home. Wife won't have anything else. TV junkie.
Edit:
Sorry, forgot to include link and photo.

61Xv1wiu5jL._SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdo...ocphy=9026667&hvtargid=pla-380613615593&psc=1

This antenna works as advertised. We have one. The remote antenna rotator kind of sucks, but at $40 cry me a river. It works, but every time you push the button to rotate it, it reverses directions so you don't know where your at without a visual.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I watch anymore is live stream. For my Reality TV fix I watch Youtube videos. For everything else, Prime TV with Acorn and Next flix.

I do have "rabbit ears" for local channels. I watch them for local news and to see which way the Tornado's are going. Really don't need them for anything else.

I have been watching so much more live than on the air TV. I get annoyed when I try to watch some program on the air and it is interrupted every 5 minutes buy 6 minutes of commercials. No commercials on live stream.

For you older guys watch The Kominsky Method on Netflix...It's so funny and I can relate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom