I Am Thinking Of Cutting Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Edit:
Sorry, forgot to include link and photo.

61Xv1wiu5jL._SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdo...ocphy=9026667&hvtargid=pla-380613615593&psc=1

This antenna works as advertised. We have one. The remote antenna rotator kind of sucks, but at $40 cry me a river. It works, but every time you push the button to rotate it, it reverses directions so you don't know where your at without a visual.
I think I need one of these along with a new television.

My tuner on my tv went out a few years ago so I bought this nifty little box that works as a tuner and that has been working well until recently. It doesn't always recognize the remote signal. I thought about just getting another tuner gadget for around $35 but I've been seeing some deals on new televisions lately.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...
But you still need a separate internet service right?
Yes, you do. You only get the free unlimited data if you have AT&T internet (DSL or fiber.) However, DirecTV Now does have an app for Android or iOS so you could watch via a smartphone or tablet and cast that to a Chromecast or Chromecast-enabled smart TV. The only way to completely eliminate all payments for internet/cable is to go 100% off air--but then you'd have no internet, either.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a Cox Cable Tech I will say that if I didn't work for Cox, all I would get is the internet. I built a homemade HD antenna that picks up every single broadcast channel in Tulsa without amplification. I could easily build a small media machine that has a tv tuner card and record anything over the air (most of what we record is on CBS). Netflix, Amazon Prime and YT is on my tv or said media box. Right now though I get my services pretty cheap so I'll keep it. But I fully understand why people are cutting the cord and never try to convince people its better on cable.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We didn't have dish for several years because it didn't fit in our budget. Then we got richer and my wife said it'd sure be nice to be able to watch the NFR. Now we've had it for bout 8yrs. That's just on 10 evenings a year. Dish doesn't offer a 10 day of the year plan. We really should look for other NFR viewing options and cancel the dish. We'd save about $1100-1200 a year I think. That'll buy a pretty nice rifle or sumpin

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We cut the cord some time back except for internet service, and got a decent antenna in the attic, Netflix, a Roku (X 3 + a smart TV) and Sling TV. We had a Firestick that was jailbroken, but it's gone on the fritz so it's no more. We can get all the local channels, a whole lot of other stuff on Netflix, and about anything else we want on Sling TV.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you do. You only get the free unlimited data if you have AT&T internet (DSL or fiber.) However, DirecTV Now does have an app for Android or iOS so you could watch via a smartphone or tablet and cast that to a Chromecast or Chromecast-enabled smart TV. The only way to completely eliminate all payments for internet/cable is to go 100% off air--but then you'd have no internet, either.
I was going to try Chromecast but all the information I found said you need internet (WiFi) to make it work.

I'm a cheap bastard and I'm trying to figure out a way to get better TV without having to pay for internet service.

If I could find a great deal on great service I wouldn't mind so much, but our options here suck.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I"ll look into that, thanks

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to try Chromecast but all the information I found said you need internet (WiFi) to make it work.

WiFi isn't internet. You can have a WiFi local area network (LAN) without connecting it to the World Wide Web. A Chromecast would connect to your smartphone or tablet but unless it had internet (like LTE service) you'd be restricted to casting what was stored on your device.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours is temporarily mounted on a 10’ piece of 3/4” pvc tubing that goes over a steel rod driven into the ground to run the TV in my shop.
When we take the RV out, it goes with us and gets zip tied to the rear ladder for local channels.
It might work in the attic, but I’d think it’s effectiveness would be reduced. It is pretty sensitive to being properly oriented to the signal for the best picture.

i guess I asked the question prematurely, I went to Amazon and read the reviews. A few say the antenna is junk and others are well pleased. For $35.00 or so it's worth it to me if it would last a couple of years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom