I Am Thinking Of Cutting Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All we watch on cable is the news and it is pitiful, all the politicians do is call each other names and make accusatns and the end result is they fail to do their jobs.
We like Westerns and they are plentiful on regular air antenna. If there is a news alert they usually break-in and interrupt what we're watching, besides, I can't do anything about whatever is happening on "breaking news." We've been watching Laramie all day on Grit TV?
Just thought I'd rant a bit, we've got Fire tv also so we won't get lnely.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rant away! I was TV-free for 10 wonderful years. Never missed the blasted thing for more than a minute. Wouldn't have one today except the lovely woman I moved in with a few years back owns a couple. Except for watching OU football (which I used to listen to on the radio), I spend less than a hour a week in front of the tube.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We cut the cable 10 years ago. We haven't missed it.
Note: The first 2 weeks are a bit difficult with the 'new' normal - but after that, no looking back.

We stream with Roku, and if you've got an Amazon Prime account - that's also more movies available. AND you can subscribe to specific channels (via Amazon) - if you have a favorite HBO channel show like 'Game of Thrones' for example. (Plenty of other channels available too)

And what's the worst that can happen?
You cut the cable. Try it for 3-4 weeks, and figure out 'it's not for you'.
The cable company will absolutely welcome you back.

You have nothing to loose by trying it.
The first 2 weeks are bumpy....

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno what to tell ya. I'd call ATT and have all this **** cut off in a heartbeat if it were up to me. I don't "have" to watch it, but if he's here it's on ... and it's on 1 of 3 things -- MTv, some 80s movie or some war movie. :grumble:

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got rid of direct tv back in the summer. I switched to amazon prime, hulu and netflix. Last time direct tv called they were up to around $400 to get me to come back. Too bad that’s like 3 months of programming....

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been with direc tv for about 23 yrs. now. The cost of their programming and equipment has gotten completely out of hand. I am going to start looking at some other options. Maybe Netflix for series and movies and some other options for news and network tv.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I got rid of cable and internet several years ago. I do all my web surfing on my phone and pick up what t.v. I can on a small antenna. GRIT is one of my favorite channels.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ditched DirecTV some 15 years ago, and don’t miss it one bit. Rabbit ears are just fine for the hour or so of TV I watch a week.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have dish network and love it. But I watch a lot of tv. More than I should. I have every single channel, a hopper 3 that can record 16 shows at once and 3 rooms with joeys for $179 a month with their protection plan. Every time I go to att they always try and bad mouth dish like they are so high and I just laugh in their faces and say I ain’t an idiot. They hate it when I start running their directv crap down. It’s ridiculously overpriced and their equipment ain’t near as good as dish. The funny part is that they know it’s true.

Latest posts

Top Bottom