I didnt find an answer in any threads.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedompawn09

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
................But its probably there. I might be paranoid but i worry about how many times a round gets chambered over time and when it's best to shoot it off. I know guys who say 2-3 times and i know guys that tell me i am a freak for worrying about it. I carry an XD-40 on my hip at work, my partner carries a Sig P226 40S&W. We split a box of Powerball and don't keep track of which bullet gets chambered each day. We empty our mags every night and load first thing in the morning. Is there something we should be doing different? When should I replace our ammo? sorry if this is the fifth time today this is brought up....

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had that issue as I shoot my gun often....however I'd answer your question by saying......if you can't tell which one is loaded most often then you're not going to have a problem. If you can discern the most loaded ones, perhaps you should discard them. Although I think they'd shoot just fine. IMO

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this trick.
keep a box to put your loaded round in every night and get out a new round to replace it. After the box is full take it out and use it for practice and get a new box.

@ 50 rounds per box that means you need to get out and shoot every 50 days or so. If you can't get out that often then reuse the box once or twice and then go shoot. that way you know how many times the rounds have been chambered.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot your carry ammo at yearly qualifications and put new ammo in every year. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are you emptying your mags at night?

If it's a safety thing, go in peace, but if you are "resting the springs," that's a myth. It actually puts more wear on springs than leaving them compressed.

There's lots of info on this, though it does not seem real logical. Springs are killed quickly by over compression and stretching, and are gradually worn out by normal cycling within the design limitations of the spring.

About the number of times you can chamber a round, I suggest you get or make a length gauge and check rounds for variance from overall length when you reuse rounds. I like to use carry ammo on the range about once a month. CB

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a fully loaded magazine, chamber a round. Pull mag out of weapon, clear chamber. Put the round that just came out of the chamber back in the magazine. Repeat. after about 10 cycles measure the cartridge. If it is the same length as an unchambered round repeat another ten cycles. Do this until you get bullet setback. I think after you do this you'll get a good idea how many times you can rechamber a round.

Some of my Golden Sabres only make it 5 or 6 times before they setback.

By the way, do this at the range with the pistol pointing in a safe direction.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've measured rounds that have been chambered multiple times and only once have I found one that was shorter than the minimum lenght of the rounds in the box I was using for reference.

I love consecutive periods by the way...........................

The wife figure once a month is about right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom