I have a question about amps & voltage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes amps kills but voltage plays an important part also. just out of high school, I worked at a plating shop. if memory is correct we'd use about 15v with say a 500amp rectifier for clear/color anodizing. for hard anodizing we'd be using high as 48v+ with a 1,000amp rectifier for runs with large aircraft parts in a huge commercial size tank.

we'd routinely clamp racks loaded with parts on to cathode bars suspended above tanks filled with copper cyanide at say 3v with a 200amp rectifier for copper plating, etc. etc. keep in we routinely operated in wet conditions under full power all day long.

it takes higher voltages to overcome natural resistance in our shoes, skin, etc. supposedly anything over 30v can be dangerous.

what's a concern for emergency workers is dealing with an electric car with lithium batteries that can discharge at huge amps.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it takes voltage to drive amps. You can put your hands across a 12 volt battery, that has 300 amps or so and not feel a thing. The body's internal resistance overcomes the ability of the voltage to push the amps through it.
The electron beam welder I worked on early in my career used 60,000 volts with 500 milliamps to weld a drill bit that was 1 1/2" thick with 100% penetration. The beam that went through was absorbed in a solid copper block inside the drill bit because solid copper has so many free electrons, and doesn't have a problem absorbing more. Welded inside of a vacuum chamber that was in the 35 micro-torr range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom