I need a new phone. What's a cool phone today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As promised drop test of my iPhone on concrete with nothing but a thin bumper case on it providing roughly .6mm of raised casing around the glass.

The iPhone design which has the glass sitting above the case perimeter rather than slightly below it is the reason you see more iPhone 5's in for glass repair than galaxy's. Not because the Galaxy has Gorilla Glass and the iPhone doesn't.

So you're saying that the Galaxy's design is inherently more durable.

Y'know, just so we're clear.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope I am not. I am saying the design of the galaxy provides impact protection around the perimeter of the screen. It's screen is just as prone to breakage from direct impact as the iPhone.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and forgot to mention Samsung gorilla glass. The screens are tough! iPhones are well known for flimsy screens.
iPhones have hardened glass, as well, though I don't recall if it's Corning's Gorilla Glass(tm). I've had an iPhone as a work phone for years, and I've never cracked the glass on any of them. (I somehow managed to break the LCD on an iPhone 3s, but not the glass.) I'm currently on a 4s; the only thing that really pisses me off is the way Apple randomly changes features for no good reason, so things that were working just fine suddenly don't. F'rinstance, why can't I mix podcasts and audio files in a single playlist? They're all effing MP3s, so why can't I play them together? I could up 'til iOS 7, but they broke the hell out of that, and haven't even bothered to answer the complaints about it (and I'm not alone in that particular gripe).

My personal phone is a Samsung Ativ S Neo (Windows Phone 8.1), and I like it very much. If you "gotta have" the "gotta have" apps, WP8.1 isn't necessarily the best phone to have, but I've been happy with it. I like the way Cortana reads texts to me over Sync in my truck, and allows me to dictate responses, too. (It's amazing; I'll be sitting at my desk all day, but as soon as I'm on the road, everybody and his dog wants to contact me...)

As for Android, I have no particular desire to give the Google sales machine any more information than I must, so I have no interest in Android phones.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Windows phone for 1 day, I HATED it. Glad ATT took exchanges on new phones so I could change it out. I also HATE Windows 8, and they seem to be 1 in the same to me, from the phone to pc....

The way Facebook was integrated into EVERYTHING on that damn phone, eh. Screw that. I only have Facebook for close friends and family, makes it much more convenient to share pictures with everyone, I don't want it apart of everything I do and everywhere I go. Friggen phone would tell people on Facebook where I was at any given time...

I want a smartphone with a calendar, calculator, alarm clock, and phone functions. They are trying to make them too intuitive, and it's making them less appealing to me.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way Facebook was integrated into EVERYTHING on that damn phone, eh. Screw that. I only have Facebook for close friends and family, makes it much more convenient to share pictures with everyone, I don't want it apart of everything I do and everywhere I go. Friggen phone would tell people on Facebook where I was at any given time...
It's not all that integrated now. Then again, I don't use Facebook and never have, so I wouldn't notice it if it were.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In December when deciding to purchase a new phone i decided on the Iphone 5c for price and the fact that even with an otterbox defender case it will still fit in a shirt pocket, something that was a requirement of mine.
I was really looking into the nokia lumina phones but reviews seemed to indicate horrible battery life. The 5c i have now can go a few days before needing recharged.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up an S5 Active yesterday. Replaced my S4 Active. It's camo even. Get one, use Google for email, contacts Drive and calendar. G+ for photo backups and Dropbox for files. It's the best setup there is. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about! 😎

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not all that integrated now. Then again, I don't use Facebook and never have, so I wouldn't notice it if it were.

One of the days after I have to have Windows 8, and use it for a while, I may give them a shot again. Android is just so simple to use, not strings attached like Apple and Windows. Much more content available for the phone. The phones aren't all locked down.

My biggest gripe with Android is not being able to uninstall factory "bloat-ware" without rooting (like jail breaking for you apple people) your phone. I want the phone to come with nothing but the essentials to run Android, and anything else that gets put on the phone, I want to control from the get go.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just ordered a Nexus 5, straight from Google. Porting my number over to a Straight Talk sim. 3GB data, unlimited talk and text, $45.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest gripe with Android is not being able to uninstall factory "bloat-ware" without rooting (like jail breaking for you apple people) your phone. I want the phone to come with nothing but the essentials to run Android, and anything else that gets put on the phone, I want to control from the get go.

Agreed... unfortunately, this is every electronic device from phone to laptops to tablets, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom