I never thought I'd see the day ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But here I am. Here's the catch .22 I'm in. I've been on a substantial dose of prednisone since my neck fusion due to esophageal dysphasia (swelling) which is affecting my ability to keep fluid out of my lungs (I aspirate clear or thin liquids) and causes me to choke on anything thicker than jello (which I will still sometimes aspirate) or pudding or fudgcicles or ice cream (which will still "stick" and cause me to choke until it melts and slides on down).

I'm having trouble getting enough calories. Yesterday was the first day I've gotten to 1000 calories in 3 weeks. Obviously, this can't go on as I'm sure it so start affecting the healing process at some point, if it hasn't already.

I've tried watered down Cream of Wheat (bleech and felt like in was swallowing pea gravel. Swelling was instantaneous :( ), ramen noodles nuked until they were mush (not too bad but not my favorite, either. At least it has a salty taste, which beats the heck outta all the sweet tasting other stuff), and oatmeal, also nuked to mush. An absolute no-go.

Anything solid or with any kind of texture beyond very, very smooth, causes swelling. Needless to say I'm drinking more water than I have in my entire life. Lol

I'm tapering down my 5th round of prednisone right now and sure enough, the swelling is starting back up. It is all I can do to choke down the pill form supplements I'm on to try and keep my vitamin and mineral levels up. Those damned calcium caplets are the size of my damned thumb. Gag! You can imagine what an adventure taking those things are.

I'm looking for suggestions. Green smoothies feel like gravel going down. Juicing is not giving me any fiber at all, which is ANOTHER problem.

I'm trying to avoid another round of prednisone, and think that once my esophagus gets used to the pressure behind it (without the curve in my neck there was never any "push back" from cervical structures that weren't close to it before) it will be fine, it's just getting there. If I'm still having problems 6-12 months from now they will be able to go back in and take the plates out, which should smooth things off a little but I'm of the opinion it's not so much the plates as me adjusting to the change in anatomical positioning.

Anyway ... I need some ideas for something to eat besides protein drinks and pudding and ramen noodles that are smooth with NO texture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, guys! I'm all ears ... hell, I'll try anything. The worst I can do is choke on it! ;)

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm serious about the baby food, knew a really fat guy who evaded the vietnam draft by going on a baby food diet, he probably gained 150 pounds

Damn, why didn't I think of that!!?!?! I dunno if I can choke down the meat stuff, but the veggies ought to work. THANKS!! I'm off to the store!!

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a recent surgery, Everything tasted like sawdust, but my loving bride found several flavors of Ensure that really did the trick for me.

I've wondered about that stuff. I think I'll pick some up at Sam's. Thanks! Are they all sweet tasting or do they have any savory flavors?? If you don't know it's, cool. I'm just tired of sweet stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom