I remember the good old days of OSA Classifieds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serious question... when they started questioning you and wouldn't tell you what it was in regards to, did you ever think about calling a lawyer?

This is part of why I don't sell firearms for the most part, but even so, I think except in some very extraordinary circumstances, it'd be pretty easy for me (my lawyer, actually) to clear me in a situation like this. I mean... besides alibis, you've got motive, my clean record, etc. I'm not overly-worried about it.

"Arrest me or tell me the whole story so I can make sense of it. Otherwise, piss off."

Yes, I did. It's a long story that I won't go into here. In the end, the entire process would have been much easier if I had a bill of sale.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see how a bill of sale would make much difference. It's not a legal document and anyone could just write one up to try and cover their tail.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
with signatures...
Doesn't make it a legal document and someone could forge the signatures.

If it is notarized it would carry more weight, but I doubt if many people would want to go to that much trouble to purchase a gun.I know I wouldn't.

The way I see it, if you are worried about, it the only way to cover your butt is to do a transfer through a FFL.

I would really have to want a specific used firearm to go to that much trouble as a buyer.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, what was the nature of the crime and why were the feds involved with a local crime? Did the perp use the AR to hold up a bank but then left his gun behind? Did he remember to take the bag of loot? How would the feds get that gun tracked back to you in 24 hours not knowing what FFL was holding the 4473?
Something is amiss...

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how a bill of sale would make much difference. It's not a legal document and anyone could just write one up to try and cover their tail.
If you make it up, and the feds investigate your made-up document, you'd be killing your own case. A legitimate bill of sale can help in many situations, including the one I was in. The importance of these things doesn't matter until you're in a situation like I was. Whether anyone believes that, or not, is not my concern.

Again, what was the nature of the crime and why were the feds involved with a local crime? Did the perp use the AR to hold up a bank but then left his gun behind? Did he remember to take the bag of loot? How would the feds get that gun tracked back to you in 24 hours not knowing what FFL was holding the 4473?
Something is amiss...
I'm not going to discuss the details of the crime, but yes it was federal. They didn't track it to me in 24 hours...that took a week or two...don't start making up **** about my ordeal that didn't happen because it's complicated enough already. What is "amiss..."?

By the way: this is why I rarely share this experience...it gets twisted, questioned, and drug under the bus until it dies a miserable death, every time. I'm sharing it again, now, just so people know this kind of **** does happen, and that for sure, a bill of sale can help you in certain situations.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you make it up, and the feds investigate your made-up document, you'd be killing your own case. A legitimate bill of sale can help in many situations, including the one I was in. The importance of these things doesn't matter until you're in a situation like I was. Whether anyone believes that, or not, is not my concern.

I'm not going to discuss the details of the crime, but yes it was federal. They didn't track it to me in 24 hours...that took a week or two...don't start making up **** about my ordeal that didn't happen because it's complicated enough already. What is "amiss..."?

By the way: this is why I rarely share this experience...it gets twisted, questioned, and drug under the bus until it dies a miserable death, every time. I'm sharing it again, now, just so people know this kind of **** does happen, and that for sure, a bill of sale can help you in certain situations.

Cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom