Impulse buy... how'd I do? AK people????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy walked into Outdoor America today and wanted to sell a rifle to the store. Since they're closing, they weren't buying any used guns. There were two salesmen looking at it and one called me over to look at it. Although I've never owned an AK, I do have a new drum mag for one. So I thought maybe I should buy this to go with my magazine. Honestly, I've had dumber reasons to buy guns. So what the hell, right?

I could see the rifle (marked MAK 90) and the drum. The guy also said he had a few mags and some ammo for it that appeared to be in the soft case laying on the counter. After the four of us talked for a bit, I made an offer and he accepted. Then he said he'd go get the ammo. One salesman asked, "you have more ammo outside?" He said he had a case of ammo. When he brought it in, it was actually a small wooden crate of 1200 rounds. I thought there was just a box of 20 or something in the case. That was actually the little magazine.

So here are some pics. I'm not an AK person. And now I'm second guessing myself. I really don't like the markings on the receiver. He said he bought the rifle from Outdoor America and he thinks it was in 1993. He is the original owner. He said he only fired it a couple of times. He said he changed the muzzle brake. It looks to be in very good condition, the wood is beautiful and the inside of the action looks extremely clean. So what should have I paid?

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prices on AKs and SKSs don't seem to have come down near as much as AR stuff to me. So I couldn't say, as I think the market is still a bit high for AK stuff.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, ditch that muzzle monstrosity!

Seriously though, that would be a pre ban mak 90, meaning it didnt need the 922r compliant parts to swap out the hideousness that is the thumb hole stock. Believe it or not, MAK 90s are some of the smoothest, well made AKs out there. In the condition you describe I would expect no less than 800, and probably closer to 1100. From what i have seen and owned, only the commies make a consistently decent AK at a good price.
If it were a MAK after 94 and had the 922r parts then maybe 700 bucks.

In line with what was mentioned by mouthpiece. my comment only applies to the MAKs imported by B West, not the guns built by them. Since the receiver is marked made in China and Norinco, you should have no issue with the poor heat treatment issue of a B West receiver.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say around $1000 is about fair market value. Nice rifle! I had a MAK for a while... it was a pretty good shooter, and like all AKs, utterly reliable even on cheap crap ammo.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. I'm starting to feel a little better. I paid $900 for the entire package. With the ammo and mags, I figure I'm into the actual rifle for $500-550. It also came with two types of owner's manuals; one say SKS, ASK, AK-47 Owners Manual and the other is a Norinco MAK90 Instruction Manual stamped China North Industries Corporation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom