Insurance help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck finding an attorney to handle a property damage claim that small. You've already settled the injury claim (and left a lot of money on the table) and that's what the attorney would be interested in.

If you get a quote from a body shop for $1700 and the insurance writes damage at $1800, you're going to have the shop fix it for $1700 and pocket the additional $100. Every shop is going to write the damage high. Because different insurance companies have different repair standards and the shop often doesn't know which company is paying for the damage, they are going to write new OEM parts and their walk in rates. In reality, the shop is going to use a combination of new OE, recycled OE and aftermarket parts in the repair. The shop is going to repair at labor rates lower than their walk in rates ALWAYS. How much lower will depend on the insurer, whether the shop is a DRP for that company, etc. Again, it's the same principle, if a shop will repair for $55/hr and the insurance pays $60/hr, they lose $5/hr.

The insurance likely got photos from the shop and wrote their own $700 estimate off those photos using cheaper parts, lower rates and less repair time. Again, the shop will bid 8 hours repair to the rear body panel behind the bumper hoping to get 4 hours from the adjuster.

If you file against your own insurance, you still aren't going to pocket $1700. SF will write $1000 and take your deductible out of it. If you have an accident free discount, you'll lose it at the next 6 month interval when your policy renews. That's not the same as a rate increase. Your premium will go up because you lost a discount. It has nothing to do with it being your fault. Either you made a claim against your G coverage or you didn't.

If the shop wrote $1700 and the insurance wrote $800, 90% of the shops out there will fix it for $1200. On no planet are you walking away with a $1700 check. Your biggest mistake was settling the injury for $500 each. That cost you thousands.

I was a State Farm adjuster for a decade, went to the shop side and wrote damage for 2 years and now manage a sublet vendor doing repairs for collision shops. We're the guys that do all the adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, blind spot calibrations and programming (and diag, wire repair, harness replacement, full mechanical, frame swaps, nitrogen fills, R1234yf, etc.).

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's how it works if it's your insurance that's involved.

Not true, it doesn't matter if it's your company or theirs.

If it's a paid off vehicle you should get a check directly mailed to you.

Being paid off has nothing to do with it unless it's a total loss.

That's what he's upset about. They paid the company and not him, so he can get it fixed when he felt like it.

Reading is Fundamental. Whether you like it or not, a lot of insurance companies now send payment directly who gave the quote. IF you want someone else OR you're trying to pocket the money, then read my post again.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading is Fundamental. Whether you like it or not, a lot of insurance companies now send payment directly who gave the quote. IF you want someone else OR you're trying to pocket the money, then read my post again.
Insurance company in 2017 paid me directly for a bid on damage when a guy ran into us at a stoplight. Unless something has changed since then, that's been the norm as far as I know.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Insurance company in 2017 paid me directly for a bid on damage when a guy ran into us at a stoplight. Unless something has changed since then, that's been the norm as far as I know.

Yep, it's changed lol. Covid changed a lot of protocols. I see claims from 50-60 different companies, mostly commercial insurance companies, but also represent at least a couple dozen personal lines companies as well. A number of them are processing claims in the manner I described.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, it's changed lol. Covid changed a lot of protocols. I see claims from 50-60 different companies, mostly commercial insurance companies, but also represent at least a couple dozen personal lines companies as well. A number of them are processing claims in the manner I described.
Covid is like an ex wife. It keeps shafting us long after it's just a memory.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had to file several claims, pre and post covid.

In both cases my insurance paid me directly, then I paid the body shop, pre covid and the roofer post covid.

Maybe thats just how it worked in my case.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of opinion surrounding the injury claim. Nothing permanent and personally I feel it’s not right to go after the other insurance for personal injury when they paid the medical costs and they gave us $1,000. My wife was in a serious accident on Black Friday several years back with her sister and again it wasn’t my wife’s fault. My SIL broke her back and my wife and her both got banged up pretty good by air bags. We got $22k after attorney fees and my SIL got around $50k after attorney fees. So yes, I’m well aware of the payout you can get via insurance. I tend to side with @JD8 on this where I complain about rates and at the same time I’m going to try milk this for everything I can? I just can’t do that and don’t want to waste the energy on it. All that to say, I’m not worried about the medical/personal injury side. I just want to be paid for the damages done to our car. So I think I will go through a claim with my insurance to get the payout for the car.

Latest posts

Top Bottom